Menu

(CC) When did you start a "quiet time" with your dc?

My dc are 8 and 5 (almost 6). I want them to see the importance of their alone time with the Lord. Are they too young and should I let them do it when they have the desire as their faith grows? I don't want to manufacture anything, but I also know I need to shepherd them too. How can I start implementing this at their ages? We have family Bible time every day, but I'm wondering when it's best to start them in their own quiet time. I would appreciate ideas on how to implement it too. Thanks!

When children are able to read the Bible on their own, they are old enough to have a personal devotion time. First thing in the morning, even before breakfast, is a good time so that distractions are reduced.

I make mine do it as part of a regular day, just like I make them brush their teeth or eat healthy foods. It's my responsibility to train them to make right choices. Now if they don't make the same choices as adults, that's up to them.

You can buy age-appropriate devotion books for them or use a Bible reading schedule like the ones at backtothebible.org.

Hope this helps!

Chelle

No they're not too young. Go for it.

When my dd was little I guided all her quiet times, so it was not really the time alone that you're thinking of. We would snuggle on the bed or on the couch and read a Bible passage and chat about it. As she got older this evolved to having us work through her Bible homework together. We usually prayed together as well.

As her homework got to feeling more "schoolish" I started to separate out what is academic and what is devotional. We have done various things for devotions, usually based on what interested her at the time. These things have been private prayer journaling, reading through a section of the Bible, reading a devotional day by day, or reading a chapter a day of a good book (like Hind's Feet on High Places or a missionary biography). I encourage her to pray a couple minutes but do not place any time requirement on it.

There have been times that I have given her a guided prayer time. Usually I just write a couple things down checklist-style, and let her manage on her own. For example: (1) Tell God something you like about him. (2) Thank God for something good in your life. (3) Tell God any wrongs you have done, and ask for his help. (4) Ask God's help for anything that is worrying you or for anyone who needs God's help right now.

We also pray together each night before bed, just briefly.

I think the key is to keep it relaxed and friendly, and not to put too many requirements on this time. Often my dd's devotions used to take just 5 minutes--that's fine, she was just a little girl. Now it's more like 10-15 (she's almost 12yo).