Menu

Writing program like CW without grammar and spelling?

usetoschool

Reading the excellant thread about Classical Writing got me wondering if there is a program that uses the same methods to teach writing as CW but is just writing. We are well into and happy with our spelling and grammar curriculum but not entirely satisfied with writing. I love the process of CW but don't want to buy the whole thing and skip 2/3 of it. I am teaching two 9's, an 11, and a very bright 7.

We are using WT II this year and will be using CW Homer next year. This year, we add in supplemental grammar (GWG 4) as well as two spelling programs. WT II and LLATL are both very weak in spelling, so I would not use those as stand alones for my struggling speller anyway.

When we use CD Homer, we will switch to Harvey's grammar, but keep our own spelling programs and also throw in some LLATL purpla for the "extras" like book studies and so on. :) I was an English major and I have not been satisfied with one program or another, so I pick and pull from all different ones.

then Writing Tales could be a good supplement to what you already have.

I use Writing Tales as my main program. My children are doing Latin, copywork, and dictation. So, I am not concerned about them lacking grammar and spelling. They are getting it.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Reading the excellant thread about Classical Writing got me wondering if there is a program that uses the same methods to teach writing as CW but is just writing. We are well into and happy with our spelling and grammar curriculum but not entirely satisfied with writing. I love the process of CW but don't want to buy the whole thing and skip 2/3 of it. I am teaching two 9's, an 11, and a very bright 7.

You know, this is exactly what I thought too. So, I started with Classical Composition. Then, when I actually saw Classical Writing, I realized that there was so much more to it than CC; so much more analysis and thinking and style.

I skip all the grammar and spelling, and let me tell there is still enough there for a very full week of CW! I wouldn't rule it out because you don't want the grammar and spelling. There is so much more to the program.

You can view some of my CW lesson plans for Aesop and Homer B to see how a week without the grammar and spelling looks like.