Menu

Marie Rippel of AAS...is she a teacher?

Actually there are many people that make a living as an Orton-Gillingham tutor. I have several friends that were stay at home mom's & homeschoolers and then learned their children have dyslexia and have since become tutors. The range of training and experience can vary from person to person.

So that might be the whole story. But if it makes you feel any better, I've wondered too!

Well that is an odd response! I agree that it is a vague explanation, she doesn't give any details. I didn't think you were critical in the least, just giving a little more explanation is all. :001_smile:

But now you've got my curiosity up! You'll have to let us know if you find out more. :bigear:

Cheeri-o!

Kim have you heard back from AAS?

Since I saw your question, I have been second guessing my curriculum choice. :confused: I recently ordered 2 levels of AAS but haven't started using it yet. I think this is a very legitimate question and one that I never thought to ask!

Kim have you heard back from AAS?

Since I saw your question, I have been second guessing my curriculum choice. :confused: I recently ordered 2 levels of AAS but haven't started using it yet. I think this is a very legitimate question and one that I never thought to ask!

I'm sorry, but I'm wondering why you are second guessing your decision. This is an excellent program as evidenced by the large number of people who have used it successfully. Are you implying that this woman couldn't possibly create a quality program just because she's not a teacher and she might possibly be JUST a homeschooling mom? That seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black IMHO.

hischool, I'm really not calling you out. Your post was just a convenient one to make my point. I'm truly not understanding the entire thread.

I guess it's not a bad question, but it would not make or break my decision in whether or not to use the program. The proof is in the puddin' as they say, and quite honestly I don't want a program created by most public school teachers, because their methods have not proven themselves to work well.

I'm sorry, but I'm wondering why you are second guessing your decision. This is an excellent program as evidenced by the large number of people who have used it successfully. Are you implying that this woman couldn't possibly create a quality program just because she's not a teacher and she might possibly be JUST a homeschooling mom? That seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black IMHO.quote]

Well because I think the OP asked a very straight forward question and should be given a straight forward answer. I am second guessing because AAS seems to dodge the OP's question and did not give her an answer. It makes me feel that they're not confident about their own credentials. KWIM?

I am sorry if I offended anyone. It's not my intention at all.

I am NOT at all implying that I only want to use something created by a PS Teacher, not in any way at all. I simply like to know about people, why they decided to do this, are they trained in Ortin-Gillingham (I am fascinated by this approach)...merely out of curiosity. I did not at all mean to stir anything up, nor am I assuming they are doing anything wrong. This is a busy time of year with the holidays.

Marie has always answered my emails and is a very nice person. I have asked her this question specifically and am waiting, not that it will matter but...if it is an Ortin Gillingham program I want someone who is trained in OG or at least has a lot of experience with it as this is an area I am not very confident and I am trying to decide between SWR, AAS and Barton.

I have used plenty of stuff from HS mom's who are simply sharing what they did with their own children and they are some of the best things!!!

There are a ton of positive reviews, tons! It is obviously a great program, I am just curious.....mainly.

I do not want to discourage anyone from using this product, I would never do that!

I apologize if this thread made anyone doubt their decision. I am prayerfully considering my options and did in no way mean for this to come across the wrong way.

Kim

I'm sorry, but I'm wondering why you are second guessing your decision. This is an excellent program as evidenced by the large number of people who have used it successfully. Are you implying that this woman couldn't possibly create a quality program just because she's not a teacher and she might possibly be JUST a homeschooling mom? That seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black IMHO.

hischool, I'm really not calling you out. Your post was just a convenient one to make my point. I'm truly not understanding the entire thread.

I guess it's not a bad question, but it would not make or break my decision in whether or not to use the program. The proof is in the puddin' as they say, and quite honestly I don't want a program created by most public school teachers, because their methods have not proven themselves to work well.

:iagree: What she said :D

:iagree: What she said :D

I don't.

I think a lot of times on these boards moms (myself included) get caught up with the "trend". I bought AAS because it's "the" program for spelling. English is not my first language and I learned spelling through rote memorization.

If Marie, a homeschool mom, is ashamed to admit her credential, then why should I have confidence in her? Would you hire someone who refuses to give you his/her resume in an interview? :confused:

I only afterschool my dd. I admire other homeschool mothers and only wish I have the resources to be one. I frequent this board because I have gained such knowledge about curriculums and education on this board from other homeschool moms. However, if being homeschool means to never question anything, I would rather be in public school for life. :D

Edited by hischool

Julie Wrote:

Julie,

I just read this again and can't believe that you posted this, I really can't. Nobody was trying to "imply" anything. I am JUST a homeschooling mom. I thought these boards were for help, finding out information. When I am considering teaching my children reading and/or spelling I want to know who is writing the program, NOTHING more was meant. Was she trained in OG, did she use something herself and decide she wanted to make it easier? I am JUST CURIOUS about who wrote this program. THAT IS ALL!!!

To the other poster who is now questioning her purchase and does not homeschool full time. Please do not send it back. I have read a lot of reviews and this looks like an amazing program, exactly what I have been looking for.

I do not think she is ashamed of her credentials and I do not believe she is "dodging" my question, I really don't! She has always been very good about answering emails and I have no doubt she will answer my email but please know I am NOT attacking her credentials or anything...I just like knowing. I read people's blogs. I read Ann Voskamp's blog because she wrote "A Child's Geography" and I want that book! I also read on Ann Voskamp's blog an AWESOME review of AAS!

I am really wanting an Orton Gillingham approach, I worry about making sure I am teaching my children reading/spelling properly. There are many people on the "Heart of Reading" sight who use AAS and love it. I just emailed someone because of this post, I was confused as to why someone would react this way to a question I had about an author of a program. It is being treated like I am attacking her and that is not at all what I am doing.

Do not get discouraged by this post....AAS is not brand new, I just have recently heard about it is all but I believe it has been out for at least a few years? Not sure on that!

I, again, apologize for any confusion. My suggestion is to go to the website and ask the questions you want directly from her, I plan to do that and not post a question like this on here again.

Kim

Edited by Blessed with seven

Well because I think the OP asked a very straight forward question and should be given a straight forward answer. I am second guessing because AAS seems to dodge the OP's question and did not give her an answer. It makes me feel that they're not confident about their own credentials. KWIM?

I am sorry if I offended anyone. It's not my intention at all.

I agree that the question was fine, and I can't imagine that AAS has a problem with people asking. One can see on their website (see the FAQ), that they have schools and businesses order from them, in addition to homeschoolers. Probably the question would be answered slightly differently depending on the caller (you wouldn't talk a lot about homeschooling if your caller doesn't homeschool!). Plus the way their business is set up, the call-in number is just for ordering--I think it's standard practice that any calls not related to ordering are referred to email.

All of my dealings with Marie have been very up front, pleasant, and generous. Remember this is a family business and life happens. Let's just be patient, and I'm sure the question will be answered.

From the back of her books:

Marie Rippel is a literacy expert who helps educators and parents teach spelling. Using multisensory techniques and research-based strategies, she has helped thousands of children learn to spell.

She's sure helped mine! Merry :-)

I emailed Marie this morning and mentioned this thread. I just received an email from her with this link: http://www.all-about-spelling.com/about.html The page talks about her background and she states that she began college at a teaching college and also that she trained as a literacy tutor. Though she doesn't say specifically what her degree is, it's obvious to me that her speciality was education and literacy.

AAS is a great, well thought out program.

I just received an email from Marie also and was going to post the link she gave me. Thanks for posting it. I am going to be ordering AAS very soon and I appreciate the fact that Marie put information about her background.

I am still deeply disappointed that a few made this post sound like I was attacking her...that is very upsetting because I don't do that to people. I do like knowing their background, nothing wrong with that.

I appreciate Marie's kindness and generosity in emailing me back.

Kim

I emailed Marie this morning and mentioned this thread. I just received an email from her with this link: http://www.all-about-spelling.com/about.html The page talks about her background and she states that she began college at a teaching college and also that she trained as a literacy tutor. Though she doesn't say specifically what her degree is, it's obvious to me that her speciality was education and literacy.

AAS is a great, well thought out program.

Thanks for posting the link! Really appreciate it. :001_smile:

When I first saw your post, I did not think anything about the fact that you were interested in her credentials. My concerns came in when I realized that people took what was being said and decided, based on the comments, to not use the program.

I just felt like there needed to be a counter line of thinking where that was concerned. My comments were intended to make people reconsider before throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Your original post did not seem to be attacking, but subsequent comments did. The implication was that Marie was trying to hide her credentials, which as we know now, wasn't the case.

I did not intend to make you feel bad for asking the question. I'm sorry that I did that. I just felt that as the thread progressed, the program was being judged in a bad way and needed someone with a different viewpoint to chime in.

I do understand better now, why hischool reacted the way she did. I didn't realize that she did not homeschool. Therefore, my comments to her were slightly misguided. I, personally, still feel the same as I stated about phonics/spelling methods that are taught in public school, but I do apologize in assuming that hischool would be coming from the same perspective as me.

Overall, I was not attacking anyone. I just wanted to put out a different line of thinking than what was here already. I think that for most people coming from a public school background, we have bought into the propaganda that is perpetuated by "the system". That being that only the professionals know how to teach. I think that way of thinking has browbeat people for so long, that it is accepted without question. I was merely questioning.

HTH

Julie

When I first saw your post, I did not think anything about the fact that you were interested in her credentials. My concerns came in when I realized that people took what was being said and decided, based on the comments, to not use the program.

This is the part that bothered me too. If the program is good and is getting excellent results and reviews, the edcucation of the author doesn't make a difference to me.

I didn't mean to come off as attacking you, Kim, that wasn't my intent and I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

Your original post did not seem to be attacking, but subsequent comments did. The implication was that Marie was trying to hide her credentials, which as we know now, wasn't the case.

That being that only the professionals know how to teach. I think that way of thinking has browbeat people for so long, that it is accepted without question. I was merely questioning.

HTH

Julie

Julie,

Wow..this is frustrating in EVERY WAY! I was NOT implying that Marie was trying to hide her credentials, why are you saying that? I was wanting to know about her background, it was a bit frustrating trying to find out but I was NOT implying she was hiding something, my goodness. You are the one who made this thread into something negative, and now Marie has had to answer several emails when she was away visiting parents who are not in the best of health.

I said in my post that I had emailed her directly and will wait for her response because she has always been generous about responding by email, even though I am sure she is very busy!

I also NEVER said only professionals know how to teach, I am a homeschooling mom, with no college degree and I am TEACHING my children. What is your problem exactly?

If I want to ask someone why they developed a program that I want to use to help my children learn to spell, I have that right, if they don't want to answer, they have that right. Then...each individual can decide for themselves if they want to use that program or not. Not all of us will use AAS, although I probably will. Not everyone will LOVE this program..who cares, that is the beauty of homeschooling is it not? That we can decide what is best for our family, for our children?

For me, PERSONALLY, regardless of how many people LOVE something, I like to know about the author.

For the record.. I could care less if they have a Teaching degree, if they have a masters, BA or whatever, could care less..that means nothing to me but if they do, fine also.

My history program now is from a homeschooling mom and to my knowledge she has no degree.. but I know her, I know her background.

Maybe you shouldn't assume you know someone else's intentions.

My feelings are not hurt QuiverO10, I am very frustrated and very regretfull that I even started this post. I am not sorry I asked, I should have just asked Marie herself and left it at that!!!!!

Julie,

Thank you for your PM. I apologize for my last post and I GREATLY appreciate you PM. You do not need to apologize, I think there was just a lot of things being misunderstood.

HEY...THREE CHEERS FOR AAS! Okay...that was a bit much :lol:

I am ordering mine as soon as I get off here.

I should have waited to make any more comments until after I ate lunch :glare:. I have been going and going and didn't eat all day, can I use that as an excuse please...low blood sugar?

Okay...thank you everyone for your input, forgive me if I offended anyone!

Blessins to you!

Kim