Menu

Pre-paid credit card questions...

I guess this depends on what and whom you are wanting them for.

I get mine through my bank, but I bank with a credit union. Ours are NOT re-useable and I'm fine with that. In the future, if I want one of my children (or another child (adult or teen) of my responsibility) to have a pre-paid card I would open a secured credit card account with my bank and THAT would be reusable.

There are a few companies out there that do offer secured credit cards aka "pre-paid", but I guess it depends on what you want.

Kris

I guess this depends on what and whom you are wanting them for.

I would like to have 2 of these credit cards - one for my clothing fund and one for my gift fund. I currently keep these in cash, but I purchase a lot of things online, then have to deposit the cash and I start getting confused. :) I was thinking the pre-paid credit card would be a way to keep those funds separate yet be able to use the credit card online. Clear as mud?

I was just looking at these last night at Walgreens. My son wanted one for iTunes--a place where he wanted to spend some of his Christmas money.

All the cards we found were re-loadable, yet they cost $4.95 per month to have them. Plus, they cost $15 upfront. Walgreen's has a rebate of $5 for the cards right now, though.

We ended up buying a $30 gift credit card for my son with his money. It was not re-loadable.

(After I did that I regretted it and gave him the lecture of a lifetime on the dangers and pitfalls of credit cards. What was I thinking!!!)

The $4.95 is correct for the Green Dot ones (we have a plain green dot that we aren't using, and a Wal Mart Green Dot version). You also pay to load them unless you feed them with Direct Deposit - OR load over $1000 a month on it (DH's 2nd job direct deposit goes on there).

It's been a good thing here, even with the monthly fee.

But, i wouldn't do it for what you are thinking about - the fees don't make sense.

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart/homepage.aspx

https://www.greendotonline.com/contents/login.aspx

We ordered our Green Dot online - and despite their postings on the website, they were unable to order us a second card, so we got the WM one. I actually like the WM one better because i can just load it there with them swiping it and it is instant. No calling with the pin number on the recpt or doing it online.

But you can use green dot refills when you can buy a TON of places.

that offered a free debit card. It was helpful when we were on a tight budget and I was ordering homeschool curriculum. That was the account that I could access through Paypal or make orders from Timberdoodle or Amazon or whatever. I didn't want my Paypal account to be the same as the account we use for all our bills.

Shop around. I *think* we opened the account with $100, but there was no minimum balance and it was free. I could add money whenever I knew I was going to make a big order, but keeping $20-$30 was fine for whenever I found used curriculum odds and ends on ebay or the used boards.

Just a thought . . .

I got mine at money mart, I paid $20 upfront, $7 monthly fee and $2 each time I load it. I go into the location to load it. I am thinking of switching to a secured card through a bank rather than this one though to actually work on rebuilding my credit, something this card does not do. I find it very helpful though especially when shopping for school curric since I do most of that online, and for booking out hotel for the big conference we go to every April.