Menu

Do your dh or dw's read as much as you do?

Not until we began HS did my dh read much. Now we go to him for History discussions and current events. He loves reading American History and about different war times. It's great. And he never complains about buying books, he buys more than I do :001_smile:

My dh has not read an entire book in many, many years. He does not understand the love of reading....there are no readers in his extended family either. I often wonder if things would have been different if he was raised in a book loving family. My ds & I seldom are without a book....ds makes me laugh, I ask him to stir a pot, and he does so with the book in his other hand...it would be too dull if he ONLY had to stir a pot.:001_smile:

My dh doesn't really read "books", most of the reading he does is over the internet since his job is on the internet. The few books he does pick up to read are not things I would enjoy- computer language manuals, Manners and Customs of the Bible, an encyclopedia; and other such books.

The only thing we really agree on is the Bible :).

I often wonder if things would have been different if he was raised in a book loving family.

My DH is a voracious reader who, when he was a child, frequently got into trouble for reading instead of watching t.v.

My brother was raised in a family of voracious readers who rarely watched t.v., yet he reads only nonfiction books about things that he needs to know.

I think that whether or not a person enjoys reading for pleasure depends on both nature and nuture. Or maybe it has to do with whether someone is an extrovert or an introvert. Or maybe the t.v. took the reading bug right out of a lot of people.

Vistors' reactions no longer surprise me when they come to our house. A couple of days ago, one of DD's friends asked DH, "Why do you have all those books?" He looked at her like she had two heads, and replied, "I read them." The kid was astonished, and so was DH. I'm used to it. None of the people whose houses I've been to in the last 20 years have had more than one bookcase, and it is usually in a child's bedroom or is filled mostly with stuff like framed photos and vases.

I think readers have become the weirdos in a lot of places.

http://www.nea.gov/news/news07/TRNR.html

"Only slightly more than one-third of adult males now read literature." [NEA survey released 7/8/2004]

http://www.nea.gov/news/news04/ReadingAtRisk.Html

Edited by RoughCollie