Menu

Question for quilters.

I've suddenly been motivated to finish ds's quilt and have spent a lot of time the last few days working on it. (Thank you to whoever posted the photo of that beautiful quilt top they had finished.) My problem is that I use the middle finger of my left hand behind the quilt to push the needle back through and it's really sore now. Is there anything that I can get to put on that finger so I'm not constantly poking it? A few months ago I bought a plastic finger-tip guard thing at the quilt store, but I can't get the hang of using it. I try it for a few stitches and give up because without feeling the needle on my finger I have a really hard time 'rockering' it back and forth. What do you do about that pesky bottom finger?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
My problem is that I use the middle finger of my left hand behind the quilt to push the needle back through and it's really sore now.

What do you do about that pesky bottom finger?

From an old quilter to a new quilter... Push through the pain! Your reward will be a great quilter's callus that will protect you from any further pain. :D (Between quilts, you can keep upkeep your callus with embroidery. I love redwork, myself.)

Kristina

I do not quilt by hand but I have seen a rubber thimble.

Here is a link.

http://www.quiltersstore.com.au/browse.asp?cat=20&dept=Thimbles

Not sure how it works but it gives you a bump until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

Happy New Year!

Thanks for the link. I've used a rubber thimble on my top hand and it didn't last long. They did have some interesting products, though. Thanks.

Thimble-It is what I use and I love it!

I am linking to this site, but have never bought from them. I just wanted a good picture of the product. If you have a local quilt shop I would go in and see if they carry them.

http://quiltersfancy.com/scripts/buyall.asp?thepi=461&productlist=yes

I couldn't get the link to work, but I'll try again later. Thanks.

From an old quilter to a new quilter... Push through the pain! Your reward will be a great quilter's callus that will protect you from any further pain. :D (Between quilts, you can keep upkeep your callus with embroidery. I love redwork, myself.)

Kristina

Well, I'm not exactly a new quilter, just an out of practice quilter. I suppose I had probably developped a callus slowly because I used to quilt regularly. More kids + more homeschooling = less time for quilting, which is why ds is nearly 5yo and I'm still working on his baby quilt! :tongue_smilie: