Menu

9th Biology - Miller Levine or Campbells questions

Planning for 9th grade DD who has interest in veterinary degree. 

Last year it was all about dentistry so this could change yet again. 😆

Regardless, I want to set her up for college success in the next 4 years of science and math so she can choose any path. 

I have looked at Campbells Concepts and Connections, the big one Campbells, and Miller Levine and have read thru quite a few posts here about why you love them etc. Reviews are mixed. 

Miller Levine website says I need a PO number to order to complete set which included the tests and student workbook for the digital courseware license. Is that true or what are you all doing for tests how are you finding them? I can order the textbook and workbook without a PO but no tests for this one.

I found Campbells Concepts and Connections 9th edition 2017, she would like a real book not rent one. Found a test bank download ona site alive never heard of. . . 

We have an awesome microscope, all the Apologia slides -hopefully they will be of some use plus dissection tools.
Will do some Experiment videos, pick and choose others for her to get experience with lab reports and doing them herself a plus. 
Past threads have mentioned a few resources I will go back and try to find what people found most useful for experiments. 

We will use Clover Valley for Chemistry, Physics IDK yet maybe DO, plus she wants to do Organic Chem/BioChem. 

She is highly motivated, a great memorizer, loves quizlet and wants to test out of Biol and Chem when she is done. 

Thanks for any all advice you have! 

Edited by RosieCotton

I bought a used copy of the text, found a syllabus online for pacing, and created my own exams. 

I don't see a need for "lesson plans" - one can simply work through the text and take notes. I also see no need for digital resources or test banks -I can read and put together an exam. 

I do not believe in the value of oodles of assignments and quizzes. A few unit tests suffice- you're nor managing a crowd, just facilitating your own child's learning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I bought a used copy of the text, found a syllabus online for pacing, and created my own exams. 

I don't see a need for "lesson plans" - one can simply work through the text and take notes. I also see no need for digital resources or test banks -I can read and put together an exam. 

I do not believe in the value of oodles of assignments and quizzes. A few unit tests suffice- you're nor managing a crowd, just facilitating your own child's learning.

All good points thank you! 

I would love to have the time to put together tests for her but my schedule will not allow for this at all. As much as I can find in a course that's done for us will give the best outcome. 

23 minutes ago, KimberlyW said:

Kolbe Academy has Miller Levine lesson plans with tests, quizzes, and answer keys available for purchase which could fit what you're looking for.

(When I looked at their science syllabi years ago, the specifically Catholic portions were clearly marked and easy to skip, if that's relevant to your needs.)

Oh good thanks for this info! 👍✌️

• Like 1

I've always used the book as a reference in the classes that I've taken and taught, so I can't speak to which book is better for self-teaching the class or which has the better associated tests.  I use Miller-Levine for my co-op class and was given Concepts and Connections to use when I taught the class for pre-nursing students at a community college.  There are differences and C&C may be a bit more advanced (it's been a while since I looked at it), but both are fine and readable.  Just as a FYI, while there are programs that cover the entire book, the scope and sequence for many states only require part of it.  This is in keeping with a year of high school being 1 semester of college - in college there is usually a semseter that is mostly molecular biology and genetics (with maybe ecology) and another that is mostly organismic biology (organs, differences between gymnosperms and angiosperms, etc) and the first semester more closely aligns with what many states require for high school.  As a homeschooler you can do whatever you prefer, obviously.  When the AP exam was revamped, it was changed such that it aligns pretty well with a class that covers the first semester of college, and I've had a couple of students earn passing grades (a 3 and a 5) after taking my co-op class (which isn't AP, just a regular class that covers the state standards).  

Campbell bio is huge and a ton of detail.  It's a great book and is what I used in college.  It used to be standard for AP but I don't think it is any more, and definitely isn't necessary.  But, it's also a lot to start with for a first biology class.  Most students will have taken another bio before using it.  

And, as a note since you mentioned testing out: my kid had fantastic success testing out of classes. With a combo of AP and DE, kid is starting as a sophomore and can graduate in 3 years with an engineering degree.  But, I have read that some professional schools (med school in particular) don't like students to AP out of classes and want students to take the full course at their 4-year college.  I have no idea if this applies to other programs like dental or vet school, but i thought I'd mention it.  It's never been relevant to me so I was surprised to see it discussed on a college forum, but it might be worth checking out if your kid is interested in biomed pathways.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clemsondana said:

I've always used the book as a reference in the classes that I've taken and taught, so I can't speak to which book is better for self-teaching the class or which has the better associated tests.  I use Miller-Levine for my co-op class and was given Concepts and Connections to use when I taught the class for pre-nursing students at a community college.  There are differences and C&C may be a bit more advanced (it's been a while since I looked at it), but both are fine and readable.  Just as a FYI, while there are programs that cover the entire book, the scope and sequence for many states only require part of it.  This is in keeping with a year of high school being 1 semester of college - in college there is usually a semseter that is mostly molecular biology and genetics (with maybe ecology) and another that is mostly organismic biology (organs, differences between gymnosperms and angiosperms, etc) and the first semester more closely aligns with what many states require for high school.  As a homeschooler you can do whatever you prefer, obviously.  When the AP exam was revamped, it was changed such that it aligns pretty well with a class that covers the first semester of college, and I've had a couple of students earn passing grades (a 3 and a 5) after taking my co-op class (which isn't AP, just a regular class that covers the state standards).  

Campbell bio is huge and a ton of detail.  It's a great book and is what I used in college.  It used to be standard for AP but I don't think it is any more, and definitely isn't necessary.  But, it's also a lot to start with for a first biology class.  Most students will have taken another bio before using it.  

And, as a note since you mentioned testing out: my kid had fantastic success testing out of classes. With a combo of AP and DE, kid is starting as a sophomore and can graduate in 3 years with an engineering degree.  But, I have read that some professional schools (med school in particular) don't like students to AP out of classes and want students to take the full course at their 4-year college.  I have no idea if this applies to other programs like dental or vet school, but i thought I'd mention it.  It's never been relevant to me so I was surprised to see it discussed on a college forum, but it might be worth checking out if your kid is interested in biomed pathways.  

Thanks for this info!

I definitely don’t want to over assign the texts and kill her enthusiasm. I was thinking the same about the Campbells big book it’s too much for a first grab. 

Good point about AP and testing out with vet college and is that ok. I will have to reach out and check with them before we get ahead of ourselves! 

On 10/23/2024 at 1:35 PM, RosieCotton said:

=

Good point about AP and testing out with vet college and is that ok. I will have to reach out and check with them before we get ahead of ourselves! 

totally anecdotal but my niece is in pre-veterinary at UF and she took Bio I in community college. She is struggling in science at UF, specifically Chem. The expectations are very, very different. It might be that her particular community college wasn't great.