Menu

Constitution Test - Are IL homeschoolers subject to this requirement?

Public school students are required to pass a test on the US and IL constitutions, patriotism, etc. as an 8th grade graduation requirement.  Homeschools are considered private schools, but I cannot seem to find a law that specifically states homeschoolers and private schoolers are subject to this requirement.  Does anyone know how this works in Illinois or even in your state?  Of course, I want my children to study the US Constitution and be familiar with IL.   How did you handle this?  

Google and find the official Illinois homeschool law online and read it if it doesn’t say they have to pass the test, then they don’t. The public school laws are completely separate from homeschool laws and you only have to follow what’s in the homeschool law (when we were in NY the district kept trying to tell us we had ti have technology. No, we didn’t.) I would be surprised if they do have to take the exam. In NY study of the constitution was stated but assessment was not. 

• Like 2

@freesia I can find no such law so far. Our law is very lax. We do have subject requirements but no testing requirements, reviews, etc.  That could very well change, though, so I do wonder if I should have some kind of record of a test.  

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

@freesia I can find no such law so far. Our law is very lax. We do have subject requirements but no testing requirements, reviews, etc.  That could very well change, though, so I do wonder if I should have some kind of record of a test.  

If there are no test requirements then you don’t have to do it. I wouldn’t worry about it at all. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 12:24 PM, Ting Tang said:

an 8th grade graduation requirement 

So, worst case scenario, your kid doesn't graduate 8th grade and you skip your kid into 9th grade? 

The IL SBoE doesn't mention it in sections 2, 5, or 6, so, I'm with Freesia - can't imagine it matters (and I'm a former NY homeschooler too, with it's 'strict' homeschool laws & regs). Chicago PS mentions Illinois School Code (105 ILCS 5/26-1)(and case law) as the things to do with homeschooling, so I'd start with reading that, since you said you had trouble finding laws. But again, I'd just not worry about it.

If you're planning on putting your kids in PS high school, maybe ask other IL homeschoolers whether they've had any problems doing so (and whether they took that test). I wouldn't ask the district, because you might open a can of worms that currently doesn't exist at all if you do that. IL is listed as no notice & low regulation on the maps I've seen, so, I'd be shocked if there's an issue. 

Edit: I guess that law just establishes the right to homeschool. CPS has some more to say about regulations on this page, citing some case law. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1