Menu

Healthy (non-processed) snacks for growing teen with fruit allergies...

Any ideas as to what kind of snacks I can keep on hand for my oldest son who is allergic to almost every fruit? He can eat berries and cooked fruit, but I'd love some other *filling* grab and go snacks. Oh, he's also allergic to nuts. :tongue_smilie: He loves sushi and doesn't mind making his own, so far that's on the list.

jerky (gf jerky can be found at whole foods, if gluten is an issue)

cheese sticks

little cottage cheese cups

hard boiled eggs

does he have veg allergies? or nut allergies?

If not, I might keep cut celery and baby carrots around and I might put peanut butter and hummus in those little ziplock cups with lids.

nuts, peanuts and seeds make a great high protien snack.

OOPs, I missed the nut allergy. It can be hard to find seeds and peanuts that are not cross contaminated with treenuts and vice versa. Having the nut allergy leaves out most brands of granola.

In addition to humus, you might make bean dips to put in little containers to go.

Edited by betty

Hummus? Make up a batch every few days (and you can vary it with more or less olive oil and tahini depending on what macronutrients you're most concerned about for him) and keep it in the fridge. Good with raw veggies or pita or pretzel sticks, etc... And for grab-and-go, wraps made with a whole grain tortilla and hummus (and throw in as much other stuff as he wants/has time for) are good...

Baked potatoes? You can either bake extras ahead of time, or he can microwave them himself (I think microwaved "baked" potatoes are icky, lol, but many people don't seem to mind) and top with shredded cheese or salsa or plain Greek-style yogurt, etc, etc. Filling and fairly healthy and quick.

Rice cakes with peanut butter (we use sunflower better, or any kind of nut butter would work). ETA: Oops! Sorry about missing nuts above. As I said, we're fond of sunflower butter around here! :o)

If he likes sushi, maybe check out variations of onigiri to make and keep on hand for him. Quick for grab-and-go stuff...

Make ahead bean burritos and keep 'em in the fridge. Just beans (refried, any canned beans rinsed and mashed a bit with seasonings, leftover vegetarian chili, etc) and cheese, maybe some leftover rice and salsa wrapped up in a whole grain tortilla. He could make several at a time, wrap 'em up individually in waxed paper or saran wrap and microwave them when he's hungry.

Edited by abbeyej

If cooked fruit is okay, how about applesauce, fruit leather, dried fruit, or canned fruit?

You said nuts are off limits, but all my nut allergic kids can have sunflower seeds, and you can also use them in a trail mix with granola and dried fruit (assuming the dried fruit is okay).

Beef Jerky

Cheese Sticks

Gogurt/yogurt

crackers n cheese

instant breakfast

boiled eggs

granola (there are a lot of options out there without nuts!)

pretzels and cheese or hummus or sunflower seed butter

What about veggies? My older kids are finally starting to request them, and they're not teens... yet.

My kids like:

Raw Carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, turnips (peeled and cut into sticks), jicama etc. Served with ranch dip or italian dressing (for the dairy allergic child)

Prepackaged salad mix, sprinkle sunflower seeds, diced boiled egg, ham, diced chicken, etc.

What about various cooked meats? Cubed, they make an excellent snack. Cubed ham or chicken can be eaten with string cheese, or wrapped quickly in a tortilla with lettuce, etc.

Another thing we have done, is to premake sandwiches and have them ready as a grab and go. Tuna, Lunchmeat, Deviled Ham, Egg Salad, etc. Just make a couple and put them in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator... it's amazing how much more appealing it is when it's already made and ready to eat.

The biggest help is to have things premade. That is what makes them grab n go. I used to save the container if I bought a side salad from a drive thru, wash it out and refill it with salad mix and other salad toppings I liked. Obviously don't add the dressing until you're ready to eat... but it is easy to grab a salad that's premade.

Premake tuna salad/egg salad and have it on hand. The already cubed meat, portion sized raw veggies, etc. are so much more appealing than trying to get it together when you're already hungry!

Hey There,

I feel for you about doing things without nuts. Even if the item is made without nuts, if he's really allergic, it seems like everything is made on the same equipment. If he's ok with sunflowers, I've made the Peanut Butter Bars with SunButter (no cross contamination) My daughter is allergic to peanut butter and so she hates the smell, too. But, I liked them and felt good about having something that kinda tastes like peanut butter around. They are chock full of protein, too.

And, I know you said healthy, but just thought I'd mention that Vermont Nut Free Chocolates, has incredible "M&M's" in dark or milk and they are SO good...not that icky knock off tastes of some of the M&M's. Anyway, you could make a trail mix with some of those in it.

Carrie:-)