Menu

Rod & Staff complete language arts sets (Reading, English/Grammar, Spelling) for all grade levels

We have used the spelling before; I thought it was rigorous.

I have been on the hunt for a package ELA curriculum to streamline things, and I am considering purchasing these sets for next year.  I've looked at the reading samples.  Has anyone used the reading program, including in middle grades?  I think the readers and accompanying workbooks look great, but I am wondering how much time they would take as I am not necessarily looking to replace reading quality literature.  I feel like my kids could use a year of reading corny wholesome lessons in life, and that is what the readers seem to offer...lol

Oldest has used grade 5, 6, and 7 Reading (with the workbooks) and will be using grade 8 (which does not have a workbook) next school year. The lessons do not take long, but we break each lessons into two days, vocabulary section on one day and then the reading questions on the second day. So, two stories per week. 

I have no experience with R&S Reading below grade 5, but will be using their grade 1 Reading with Middle starting in the fall. 

I've used R&S English and spelling from grade 3 up and plan to use it from the beginning with my younger two in addition to their Reading.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

@Servant4Christ do you do any literature/novel/poetry studies outside of Rod & Staff?  I do not want to try to do too much.  May I ask what you use in addition to these ELA elements, including for history, science, electives, etc?  I'm mostly concerned about 6th and 7th grade.  

Poetry is covered pretty well between R&S English and reading. Honestly, poetry is not a favorite of Oldest, so we don't wade into poetry any deeper than what is in R&S.

We use Notgrass for history and also read/discuss the recommended literature books that go with each course. This isn't necessary, but Oldest requests it because he loves to read.

For science, at Oldest's request, we use R&S a grade ahead and he is excited about using R&S 9/10 science this upcoming year because there's less biology, more physics.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2024 at 5:59 AM, Servant4Christ said:

Poetry is covered pretty well between R&S English and reading. Honestly, poetry is not a favorite of Oldest, so we don't wade into poetry any deeper than what is in R&S.

We use Notgrass for history and also read/discuss the recommended literature books that go with each course. This isn't necessary, but Oldest requests it because he loves to read.

For science, at Oldest's request, we use R&S a grade ahead and he is excited about using R&S 9/10 science this upcoming year because there's less biology, more physics.

Thank you so much!  I don't think RS looks all that bad for science and history, actually.  But I am wondering if we need a few different formats to keep life interesting.

Edited by Ting Tang

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2024 at 4:29 PM, Ting Tang said:

Thank you so much!  I don't think RS looks all that bad for science and history, actually.  But I am wondering if we need a few different formats to keep life interesting.

Though I love most of their curriculum, I'm personally not a fan of R&S history. While it is definitely Biblical to turn the other cheek, there IS scripture that lets us know there is also a time for war. In addition, there are many Christian martyrs throughout history (not just the Anabaptist ones), but I haven't seen any mentioned in any of the R&S history I've looked at thus far. Some families can choose to have conversations about their own values and beliefs as these topics come up, but Notgrass has been a better choice for us.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Though I love most of their curriculum, I'm personally not a fan of R&S history. While it is definitely Biblical to turn the other cheek, there IS scripture that lets us know there is also a time for war. In addition, there are many Christian martyrs throughout history (not just the Anabaptist ones), but I haven't seen any mentioned in any of the R&S history I've looked at thus far. Some families can choose to have conversations about their own values and beliefs as these topics come up, but Notgrass has been a better choice for us.

I should probably elaborate---the social studies/communities lessons look pretty good, but oh yes--that is true, that we wouldn't be covering that side of things.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

I should probably elaborate---the social studies/communities lessons look pretty good, but oh yes--that is true, that we wouldn't be covering that side of things.  

Ah. Yes, the younger grades through grade 5 look good and I have friends who have enjoyed them as read alouds with their children. It's the older (middle grades +) that I'd approach with caution. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ah. Yes, the younger grades through grade 5 look good and I have friends who have enjoyed them as read alouds with their children. It's the older (middle grades +) that I'd approach with caution. 

Yes.  I will look for something else for the middle schoolers.  I am just overwhelmed, especially by the classical options. That's why I was considering just doing living books and reading...  But I am not sure on anything.

As far as the Bible Nurture and Reader series, once you get past the beginning reading instruction (which I don't like because it has a very strong sight-reading base rather than a strong phonics base), the skills taught through 4th grade are research and investigation, seeking a Bible base (important for some, not for all), proper reading habits, collecting and organizing data, making assumptions, skimming, interpreting, and developing imagery. From 5th grade on, they teach vocabulary and oral reading skills, reading-thinking skills, literary techniques, types of reading, and writing skills. So more than just reading good literature, unless you have guides of some kind to also cover these things.

• Like 1