Menu

FIAR - can someone explain it to me?

mommysweird

A wonderful HSing momma at church recommended this curriculum to me a few months ago and I was wondering what those of you currently "in the trenches" think of this one. She said her kids loved it and so did she and it was a lot of fun for everyone. I've checked out their website and basically the only thing I understand from it is that you read the same book every day for 5 days from a different perspective. Is that all there is to it? Do your kids get bored reading the same book over and over? Or am I completely mis-understanding this?

TIA! I'm so glad I found this board. It's been such a wealth of information for me.

The basic premise is to read the book everyday and pick out a different subject to concentrate on: math, art, geography,etc. There's a manual that tells you what to look for and talk about.

That said we don't read the book every single day, some do. You read the book at least one and then the next day, pick out the part of the story you want to discuss - say geography. Remember the story took place such and such. Then you go look up or study about that place - state, town, etc.

Does this make any sense. I'm sure some of the other ladies will be able to explain more clearly.

hth

Forgot to say: All the books for this are excellent. even if you don't do the program, the books are well worth reading.

Edited by Mytwoblessings
adding something

You can see sample lessons here: http://fiveinarow.com/FIAR/FIARLESN.html

We loved FIAR and have wonderful memories. It is a gentle introduction to doing schoolwork, and you can pick and choose which lessons wil fit your child the best. The message boards also have lots of great ideas to go along with the lessons, and more at homeschoolshare.com.

I have heard Peak With Books is a similar curriculum. HTH.

Okay, I read your question again and I think I see what you are asking better. And I noticed your dc is almost 7. :)

We used this for kindergarten. I know a couple of moms that use it for first, and at the FIAR there are many moms who use it up through second and third grade, along with other curriculum. Most of the lessons involve reading the story, ad then having a discussionto call attentio to certain aspects. For the social studies, you locate the setting on a map. The language arts often involves writing, as in the link above where it talks about making a LA notebook, copying vocab. words, making lists. For art there is practice of an art technique. The science would be hands on, or for some topics, just reading an additional book about the subject.

For K it is enough, along with phonics and handwriting, IMO (I don't think FIAR math is "enough" but I didn't use a formal math curriculum for K, just my personal philosophy). Some people feel it is enough for first and I think you could go more in depth and do more of the topics, if you wanted. I prefer doing a history cycle starting in first grade, instead. But we loved FIAR so much here that we are planning to do a few units over the summer, for fun. Even for K I did "beef it up" using suggestions from the message board and homeschool share. We added quite a few library books to go along with the topic. I sometimes did printable maps from online or related hands-on projects. A lot of people make lap-books for some of the books; there are even some to purchase at FIAR's site.

What I like about FIAR is it can be as much or as little as you want it to be. For days that are short on time we read the book and maybe count some things in the pictures (math), or talk about whether it is fiction or non-fiction (language arts), etc. Other days we have done full out projects for science and art and math. Again, it is what you make it. The stories are all excellent.

Thanks!

I was wondering if it would be too lean for my 1st grader. Plus I was actually planning next year's curriculum when I stumbled across FIAR again. But with the cost of FIAR being so affordable, I thought it might be a fun thing to do for the rest of 1st.

Now my question is which volume to do. The way I understand it from the message board that I've been on since I posted here an hour ago (:001_huh:) is the Volume 3 and especially Volume 4 is more suited for the older group. (7-8 yo's)

I am looking at TOG for next year (2nd grade), however, because I want something more meaty once he's got a better handle on reading. As far as math goes, we're doing MUS and enjoying it so I don't think we'll change that.

Thanks again!

Again, I think it is what you make it - I know some moms have all the volumes and rotate them freely depending upon season, interest, etc. I actually still have math and phonics instruction for DD. Math because she really enjoys it, and phonics because we are just starting the ETC primers. I definitely think it needs more in the way of math, but I think most other things could be developed on through the use of social studies and language arts. Is your 1st grader reading?

Yes, DS is reading. I would say he's an average 1st grader. Not a genius, but not "behind" either (I really don't think there is a "behind" - but those pesky friends of mine that compare all the time seem to) - just an average student. He's a typical boy and definitely more interested in being busy "doing" things than "school." He reads picture books, but not chapter books. Basic stuff. Does his reading level make a difference in FIAR? Or were you just curious? Thanks for your responses!

We LOVE FIAR. :001_smile: Basically you pick a book from one of the manuals and read it each day, or less if you and your ds prefer it. There is a different topic for each of the five days of study. One day will be social studies were we learn about the country it's set in as well as different occupations, feelings ect. Another day is language arts activities based on the book, then science, applied math and art. It's fun and easy to implement. I love that on a really crazy day we can do it orally. When we have more time we can really dive in and have fun with lapbooks etc. We read books about the country/area it's set, watch videos on the area. If your library doesn't have videos like that try Youtube. I've found some nice travel videos there. We research areas of the book that interest my kids as well. Different animals, flight, weather etc.

That's one of the great things about FIAR is you can easily beef it up if you like. But it's really a very easy approach that works so well.

I add in math we like MUS and some other things just because my dd like it.

Oh and I jump around between the first 3 volumes. I'm hoping to get vol. 4 next year.

When my dd was in 1st grade, I continued with FIAR and found it too lean. Then, someone told me about Galloping the Globe and I was SOLD! It has the FIAR books and more. It covers Geography, Science and some history for each country.

Just another alternative if you find FIAR too repetitive or not "enough."

Blessings!

Dorinda: I love the verse you quote in your siggy line! Makes me want to shout, dance and sing all at the same time every time I read it!! Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks everyone else for your input. I'm off to check out Galloping the Globe and the other one someone suggested that I can't remember right now because it's not on the screen in front of me. . . Blast that pesky memory.

Sounds like you got some good suggestions. As for which volume, they can all be 'beefed up' or 'leaned down' (does that make sense) for the age level. But they do go in something of an order (volume 3 & 4 are a bit meatier). But we're using a book from volume 4 right now, and my ds is only 5. I just pick out what I want to cover with him and skip the rest. If you are trying to decide on a volume, take a look at the books in each volume and pick which one you think your child would be interested in.

And my ds doesn't get bored reading the same book over and over again. He will often ask me to read it again, after we get done. Or he'll pick it out for night time reading. But he's the kind of kid that likes the books read over and over again.

If you aren't sure, try checking them out of the library. My library system has the 1st 3 volumes available. Check out one of the books at the same time, and give it a try.

:party:LOVE FIAR!!

We LOVE FIAR here. I have used all four volumes and own most of the books. I have the best warm and fuzzy memories of the years we did FIAR exclusively.

First, I would get the teachers guide and find whatever books I could from the library. If we ROWed them and loved them I would buy them on amazon. I used file folders to contain all their written work from the lesson week. Somtimes it was elaborate with lots of decorations and other times it was just a folder stuffed with bits of scrap paper.:smilielol5:

I used www.enchantedlearning.com to glean specific maps, pictures, and learning activities if I felt the need to add to the lessons.

To be perfectly honest, my kids did great with the weeks we just did it all orally. You do not have to do it any particular way.

I added bible memory, copywork and dictation, and math.

My kids all really loved the books and we re-ROWed many over again.

I should mention that it can appear deceptively simple and light on academics. I found it to be otherwise because the kiddos had a very real hanger on which to hang historic events. The stories are brought up often as we read Sonlight titles.

We've used FIAR for years. Each day you teach a lesson or lessons in different subject areas (social studies, language arts, art, applied math, and science are the 5 subject areas). The author recommends you use separate phonics and math programs - FIAR is not designed to cover those subjects in a systematic way. My dds usually have not gotten bored with the books (occasionally there was one that just didn't "click" with them, then there would be complaints). My ds would be happier if it was 3 in a row, but he survives listening the 4th and 5th times.

FIAR is designed for you to teach the lessons conversationally to your children. However, my children are visual learners, so I usually find books to cover the science and social studies topics. Sometimes we've done FIAR by "themes" - doing all the books that relate to American history, or world cultures/geography, or certain science topics I want to cover, etc. Doing it that way definitely beefs it up - sometimes it takes several days to cover all I want to for that week's segment of the theme we're studying. Other times we've just done books at random - for us those are lighter times, but more fun, and it definitely has helped my children develop a love of learning.

If it weren't for FIAR, art wouldn't get done around here. Sometimes I keep it simple and just do an art appreciation lesson; other times we do a hands-on art lesson.

This year I wanted to do a world cultures/geography course with my oldest, and studying animals around the world for science (with a little general biology thrown in). To keep everyone studying the same thing, I picked the FIAR book that best goes along with the topics I planned for each week. So far it's worked pretty well. My official FIAR students are in 1st and 2nd grade this year. I also have twins who just turned 5 late this fall, and they sit in on a lot of it. My oldest usually chooses to sit in on it, too, but it's definitely not her "official" curriculum.

Next year I'll have 4 doing FIAR - twins in K, a 2nd grader, and a 3rd grader. We'll be doing Biblioplan as well (mainly just the SOTW readings and activities for my younger students), so we'll keep our FIAR social studies on the light side. I think it will be plenty for even my 3rd grader.

Blessings,

Laura

Dorinda: I love the verse you quote in your siggy line! Makes me want to shout, dance and sing all at the same time every time I read it!! Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Kim! It's a new year and I have a new song because of God's blessings:hurray:. Isn't there something about a new year that gets you excited?!?

You can PM me if you have any questions about Galloping the Globe. We love FIAR and have used it for Pre-K and K twice! But I understand your concerns about using it for 1st grade. I think I'm going to use GG for my youngest next year (1st grade). I'm sad my FIAR days are over:crying:, but GG is a great curriculum that my oldest loved after FIAR.

Blessings!

Diana: Thank you so much for the suggestion to check the volumes out at the library!!! It hadn't occurred to me that they might have the actual volumes. I was looking for the books on the book lists, but never checked for the curriculum itself. Imagine my delight when I checked and they have ALL 4 VOLUMES in great supply and most of them are available!!! :hurray:

Boy will my hubby be glad! Even more so if I actually like it as much as I think I will.

Thanks again!