Menu

Veritas Scholars Academy or ???

I’m considering signing my daughter up (7th next year) for 2-3 online classes. Has anybody used them? Thoughts? Looking at History Transition, Grammar & Writing Transition and Science. 

Any other online programs that you have really liked? 

Can you give us more context and why you are looking to outsource these particular things? 

No experience with VP, but we had good experiences with Wilson Hill, CLRC, Center for Lit, Roy Speed, and House of Humane Letters, spread out over many years. And Outschool; fun things there! 

I would not jump into several online classes at once with a middle schooler. There is a learning curve! And a parent’s significant participation is often required with online classes. 

As a side note: Douglas Wilson has deep, if not current, connections to VP and many here, including many Christians, find him abhorrent and would never use VP curriculum or courses. 

6 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Can you give us more context and why you are looking to outsource these particular things? 

No experience with VP, but we had good experiences with Wilson Hill, CLRC, Center for Lit, Roy Speed, and House of Humane Letters, spread out over many years. And Outschool; fun things there! 

I would not jump into several online classes at once with a middle schooler. There is a learning curve! And a parent’s significant participation is often required with online classes. 

As a side note: Douglas Wilson has deep, if not current, connections to VP and many here, including many Christians, find him abhorrent and would never use VP curriculum or courses. 

These were just courses that received a lot of good reviews. I have looked at Wilson Hill as well. I have not heard of the others. We’ve been pretty much classical and somewhat eclectic. Veritas has a rigorous education which I thought might help take a bit of a load off of me, considering I work full time, as well. 

Ugh! I remember looking into him when we were doing Classical Conversations and was not too fond of him. We left CC since and have not been back. It was a bit cultish too us among the other things I uncovered. 

We have only done self paced VP classes and loved them -- I have gotten the impression that the live class expectations are beyond my average kids' reasonable reach. 

We have used Excelsior classes and Schole and loved them. We also use Mr D Math and love it. We start with one live class in 7th (math) and then 2 in 8th (math and logic) and then go from there depending on the kid. 

I don't think I would do more than 2 live classes the first time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sunny Day said:

I’ve heard that they are very rigorous. What classes did you try with Excelsior & Schole? 

What were your thoughts on Mr. D Math? What class and did you have a specific teacher you liked? 

Excelsior- Biology

Schole-- Art of Argument, Discovery of Deduction, American Literature, Everyday Debate

Mr. D -- my odd did Algebra 1-precalc with Mr D. Excellent. My ds did pre-algebra through currently in precalc with Mr D Excellent! My ydd has done pre algebra and now Algebra 1 with Mr H also Excellent. 

I am hoping to do more Excelsior classes with ydd but we are currently part of a co-op so doing several classes there and not as much time for online classes. Right now She is just doing math with Mr D and logic with Schole. 

• Like 2

This is our 9th year outsourcing with Veritas for our family and we have been pleased with all the courses and curriculum. My youngest daughter is currently finishing Grammar & Writing Transition and Physical Science live courses with VP. The classes are rigorous and challenging but so worth it. She has grown tremendously academically in her ability to write papers and formal lab reports. She is enrolled for 4 live classes next school year, Comp I, Biology, Latin II, and Omni I Primary. 

How many hours per week would you say those take outside of class? At what grade level is she taking classes? I’m considering just doing History Transition & Science. Any teacher that you have loved or would reconsider?

Have you done the Diploma program? 

DD is finishing 8th grade. We are not in the Diploma program, she just does not have the time (competitive athlete, and I like our history/math cycles more than what they offer at Veritas. She's my youngest daughter so I know what works for NCAA clearinghouse / Service Academies etc because we have been through it already).

I would say she works between 30-45 minutes on G&W Transition, longer if there is a paper due. For physical science, she usually spends 45-1hr each day, again longer if she has a lab due. Formal lab write ups take longer because there is research involved, but plenty of time is given to prepare.  

Our favorite General and Physical science teacher will be out on maternity leave next year, but we haven't had a bad teacher across the board yet. Not sure what science you are looking at doing but Mrs. Braaten and Mr. Bruner are popular. My recommendation would be to click on the teacher's name and read their bio. Then watch the short intro video they have made to hear them speak.