Menu

R&S Phonics users

Did you use the phonics cards or is there enough drill already built into the workbooks? I know some components (in R&S math, too) are more useful in a class setting and not needed as much in a homeschool setting, but I'm not sure if this is one of those instances. 

13 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Did you use the phonics cards or is there enough drill already built into the workbooks? I know some components (in R&S math, too) are more useful in a class setting and not needed as much in a homeschool setting, but I'm not sure if this is one of those instances. 

The whole reading course includes phonics. And there are lots of moving parts. I recommend getting all of them. So yes, you should use the phonics cards. The way it's supposed to go (scripted lessons in the teacher manuals) is that you teach, then you give the child the seatwork. Then you teach again, and assign another workbook page. Then you teach again...All of the workbooks assume that you have taught first, not that you give your dc the workbook page and teach the page. No. You teach first, then the seatwork reinforces what you taught.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ellie said:

The whole reading course includes phonics. And there are lots of moving parts. I recommend getting all of them. So yes, you should use the phonics cards. The way it's supposed to go (scripted lessons in the teacher manuals) is that you teach, then you give the child the seatwork. Then you teach again, and assign another workbook page. Then you teach again...All of the workbooks assume that you have taught first, not that you give your dc the workbook page and teach the page. No. You teach first, then the seatwork reinforces what you taught.

I plan on using the reading and phonics workbooks and the readers, but I am not getting the additional practice pages, worksheets, or blacklines after an in-depth conversation with the publisher. Less working parts. As for teaching, seatwork, then teaching some more: I'm thinking this will work well for me while cycling between all 3 kids next year. I'll get the phonics cards and see what happens.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

As for teaching, seatwork, then teaching some more: I'm thinking this will work well for me while cycling between all 3 kids next year. I'll get the phonics cards and see what happens.

This is exactly why I used it the second year I taught in a little one-room school. The first year I did Spalding, with all dc, 6-14yo. They all showed so much improvement, in reading and spelling, just by Christmas, but I did R&S the next year so I could give the seatwork to the only 6yo to work on while I did stuff with the others. It's not nearly as strong phonics as I like, but it did the trick.

• Like 1