Menu

Pedi Paws * Anyone use this?

I have both a PediPaws and a Peticure, and the Peticure is much better. What kind of dog do you have? The PediPaws might be okay for a smaller dog, but I have a very large dog with thick, tough nails, and the PediPaws just didn't have enough power.

I have also tried a regular Dremel, but I find that the plastic guard makes it much easier to use.

I ordered the Peticure Power from their website. It was way backordered (3 months wait, I think), so in my impatience I bought the PediPaws when I saw it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I quickly realized the same thing- I'd be going through a lot of batteries, and it just didn't have enough power.

The Peticure Power has a cord- the other models use batteries. It's a step up from the Peticure Elite and well worth the additional $10.

I actually just bought a dremel for $18 at walmart and that works just fine. It's a 5000/10000 RPM one with a rechargable battery. It doesn't have a guard but my dogs are both short haired (shar pei lab mix and a pug) so that isn't an issue for us. We've been slowly grinding their nails down once a week becasue they were pretty overgrown. My dogs have no problems with it. I'm amazed at how quickly they adjusted to it. My older one (the Shar-pei mix) justs lays there sleeping while you do it, and she's 11 years old, so you can teach an old dog new tricks. My pug is a bit tougher to do, but he's so squirmy all the time it's just hard to get him to sit still.

I think it's a great investment and so much easier than when I tried to clip their nails.

I'd be hesitant to use the grinding stones because they heat up faster than the sandpaper and can burn the dog. There is a good article here.

It's one of the warnings on the Pedi Paws' package. Along with, "do not insert into any body cavity.":blushing: I really wanted to take a picture of that warning but never got around to it:lol:

Seriously, though, you have to work it in short bursts or else it does get too hot. If your dog's nails are overgrown, you will be using it every day a little bit at a time and eventually, they will be normal length and you can just maintain them. Although, fwiw we have a 125 lb dog with huge nails, so a smaller animal may take much less time.