Menu

Digital Frames?

I want to get my mom a digital frame. She lives out of state and I thought she would like to see pictures of my boys more often. I'm not even sure how they work. Are there any that you can just change out a memory card in the frame? The problem is she doesn't have a computer at home and anything too complicated won't work. My idea is to take picutres and send her a new memory card about every month or so and have her send me back the old one and switch back and forth. Would this even work? Does anyone have any better ideas? Any recomendations on digital frames that are easy to use? :bigear:

Thanks!

We just went round and round with this and finally bought the 7" HP digital picture frame from Target. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but we rec'd a gift card which covered part of it.

It has 512 mb internal memory.

It's very easy to use once you play with it and read the short manual.

It has a remote control.

You can use a card or travel drive or transfer straight from your pc.

The resolution is 600x480 and looks great!

It can be displayed with a clock and calendar.

We are very, very happy with it. We opened it and downloaded pictures and a few snippets of video and my mother is soooooooooooooooo happy. She will be taking to the place she volunteers to brag on the grand kids.

HP makes another with a bit less memory and resolution that I read a favorable review for, also.

Yep, I got a digital frame for Christmas, and it has slots for several types of cards, and it has an adapter so you can plug in cards that don't fit in the slot. Most frames at least have an SD slot which is what most cameras use. The card just slide in there and automatically reads the card, and the pictures show up on the screen in a slide show format without having to program anything. She can even upload those pictures from the card to the internal memory on the frame and send you back the card to refill.

I have a frame that takes a card - but both of my grandmothers have this frame, or something similar to it:

http://estarling.com/

Your mom just plugs the frame in to her phone line - and you email her pictures. The pictures show up nearly instantly on her frame and you can email pictures (for free) every single day if you like! My grandmas, who are ANTI technology, LOVE these because they don't have to do anything. And my parents like them because they don't have to mail memory cards back and forth and send pictures that are weeks old - they can send pictures instantly. :D

Consumersearch has good evaluations of digital picture frames.

http://www.consumersearch.com/digital-picture-frames

Amazon reviews weren't helpful to us. They varied so much for the same model and Amazon lumps reviews for different models together so you don't know which is being discussed.

We ultimately went by Consumer Reports.

There are frames with all kinds of features depending on what you want (or don't want). Also, of course, they have different price points.

If you want a wireless enabled frame that you can send pictures to without sending a card through the mail, Best Buy has several. I saw these...

http://www.ceiva.com/

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/10521/12478&pq-locale=en_US

The Kodak one require an internet connection. Does this one require a WIFI internet connection? My doesn't even have a computer much less an internet connection. Thanks for your help. I am not all that tech savy but i think my mom would love one of these.

The Ceiva can use the phone line instead of internet. If you look at the site, they try to get you to buy a plan, but it's only required on one frame, not the others. For instance, the Ceivalife doesn't require it.

The good thing is they sell it at Best Buy, so you can go there and talk to someone and see the frames in person.

I don't really know much about them because I wasn't looking for that feature. Maybe someone will chime in again and give more info.:001_smile: