Menu

English Language Arts for middle grades. What is the gap?

I haven't been on the Logic Stage board for a while. Hi. I feel old.

I am taking a certification course around creative commons/ copyright. One of my final projects is to adapt something out of copyright or with an open copyright into a new free-to-use resource:

"Find an open educational resource and adapt it to better serve your students/community."

My initial thought was to create a remediation co-requisite work text for my university's communications and English courses. The material will be 7-9th grade, because those are skills missing for many of those students.

But. Maybe this could serve more than one of my communities?

When I was teaching co-op courses, there didn't seem to be much available in Logic stage for Language Arts, especially that is free to use. It seemed like there was a gap between about 6th grade and introductory college level.

Is that still the case? What would you look for in a resource like that?

Remember, this is an assignment to adapt something that exists, not create something new, so I would also love to hear about free resources you have found that are "almost" what you need.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MamaSprout

• 1 month later...

I loved using School Composition for Use in Higher Grammar Classes by William H Maxwell.  (Free resource)  it is a very simple and elegant writing program.  

You could adapt that to make it more modern and user-friendly. . 
🙂