Menu

Voyages in English?

Michelle T

I know TWTM recommends Voyages in English, but I rarely see it mentioned here. It looks good to me, at least the sample of the 5th grade book on their website.

Anyone using VIE? What do you think? I know TWTM didn't recommend the writing portion, but there is a brand-new version out, and the writing lessons look okay to me.

How easy is it to teach without the teacher's guide? Or would that be essential?

Reviews, opinions, comments on Voyages in English?

Michelle T

We used Voyages in English in third grade. In my opinion, it is a huge waste of money. It costs a lot to make a big glossy-paged hardcover book. Half the book is discarded immediately, as SWB (correctly) advises us to ignore the Writing part of the book. The material in the grammar portion of the book is readily available in many less expensive programs by other publishers. Even the same publisher produces Exercises in English, which is less expensive, provides pretty much the same grammar training and has more extensive practice exercises.

For writing, I would recommend Classical Writing Aesop or Writing Tales. Both of these programs include grammar, spelling, dictation and vocabulary training. In my opinion, the grammar, spelling and vocabulary in Classical Writing Aesop are all at a very elementary level (probably good if the student is a total beginner at these subjects -- it's a very gentle start). The grammar in Writing Tales is more advanced and moves at a very nice pace. The vocabulary exercises are also more interesting. If I were starting 3rd grade over with my son, I'd pick Writing Tales.

If you decide you need a separate grammar program, you may have to try a few different programs until you find one you like. Currently my 9yo son is using Classical Writing Aesop for writing; for grammar, we use Easy Grammar and Daily Grams (both at 5th grade level). The only reason we are using a separate grammar program is because my son's beyond the level of grammar covered in CW Aesop and Writing Tales. Next year when he starts Classical Writing Homer (the next level after Aesop), we'll use Harvey's Grammar, which is integrated with the writing program.

Note that Writing Tales does not currently proceed beyond Writing Tales I and II, whereas Classical Writing is a complete program that can take you through high school. However, many on the forum have noted that you can readily use Writing Tales I and II and then transition to Classical Writing Homer. Again, if I were starting over with my son in third grade, this is what I would do. I would not bother with a separate grammar program as Writing Tales I and II covers grammar for grades 3-4 pretty well. If any additional grammar practice were required, there are plenty of inexpensive workbooks available to provide it.