Menu

I need help selecting music for my iPod Shuffle, please. (I'm desperate for ideas.)

I asked for a Shuffle because my son listens to Abba every single day. I don't mind Abba, and I'm thrilled he is finally listening to music, but after four months of Abba on a daily basis, I've had my fill.

What I need: UPBEAT, blood pumping music. Rock 'n Roll is what I like

Background: This was the year from h-e-l-l for me: Witnessing my Dad have a heart attack and performing CPR with my son's help, his three-month illness, and his passing was the worst of it. My husband had a medical emergency, my son was diagnosed with epilepsy. I spent a night in the hospital two rooms down from my Dad after having a massive panic attack. My beloved dog died from cancer right after Christmas last year which set the tone for 2008, I now have generalized anxiety disorder, lovely. Cleaning out Dad's house, being co-executor of his estate, etc.: all the stress of everything has hit me hard.

I am depressed/grieving and also suffering from SAD.

My new light box has helped a lot already, BUT I'm still moving slow.

I believe music can really help set mood. And I need to get off my tail end, up and moving. I'm sick and tired of being depressed, but I'm just in a rut.

So now that I have this lovely blue Shuffle, I'm at a loss for what to buy to upload to it. I need upbeat music. I need music that comes alive and fills the air (or my ears) with energy. I want music that is inspirational in the sense it will get me moving. Any kind of Rock 'n Roll, from heavy metal to the Bee Gees to the 50s bubble gum--I love it all. It's just that now that I am ready to order some music, my mind has gone blank.

Help!

For those who love Rock 'n Roll, could you please list your favorite high-energy music and help me get going? Thanks.

Do you have the latest edition of iTunes? If so, enable the Genius feature. Then, pick one song you like and Genius will give suggestions that you might like. I know it works off the music library you already have to create custom playlists, but I am pretty sure it'll create suggestions to download, too.

They have hundreds and hundreds of playlists in the iTunes store, they call these "albums" iTunes Essentials. They have them by artist, by type of music, by theme, by year, you name it. You can buy an entire playlist, or just individual songs.

I often find songs this way. I look over a particular Essential playlist of whatever type music I want, and always find a few songs I like.

Look for the ones with music to get you going, or exercise, or listed as upbeat. There are loads of playlists like that. Or get Club Hits, 90's Hits, Disco, whatever you like!

Michelle T

Thank you both, Michelle and Michelle, (lol) you have both been most helpful.

I started going through the Essentials and found lots of great ideas. I have also enabled the Genius feature.

We have a Creative Zen, but have never used it for music. So I'm just now trying to get current with the music thing. Thank you so much for your help!

Hopefully I'll be dancing around my house shortly! :party: Ah, the Beach Boys in Minnesota in winter--perfect. I would have never thought of them.