Menu

Now that things have calmed down a bit around here...

can I get some more information from Dr.Hive?

They gave me a litre of fluids, no insulin or meds of any kind, in the ER yesterday. My blood sugar was likely high from a combination of dehydration and lacking one of my diabetes medications. All seems well in that dept. for now as my blood sugar is coming down fairly quickly now. It's in the high 200s, still high but manageable at home at this point.

They did a CBC with differential on me while I was in the ER which revealed I was anemic. Again. No surprise to me, I just finished my period and I'm always a little anemic then. But when I got home and looked at the labs online, I did notice something a little different about it. Hemoglobin and Hematocrit and all the other markers that spell anemia are low-normal to low but my RBC is high. I tried looking up in all my normal places and I'm not getting any good answers for that. The ER doctor talked to me about the anemia but didn't mention the high RBC.

Could dehydration cause anemia but high RBC? Like I said my normal go-to medical sites aren't giving me satisfactory answers for this. I see my PCP for an ER follow up on the 8th but I'd like an idea of what to ask her about, ya know?

Here are the actual numbers if that helps. I only included the readings that were outside of normal, the rest of the CBC values were well within normal range:

image.png.84fc07bcc5e4b6eac92e437283c8cbb9.png

I'm glad you're feeling better. To answer your question I would say that if you were dehydrated then there would be more cells packed into each milliliter of blood, if that makes sense. The blood can become thick and sludgy if the severity of the dehydration is great enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Someone probably has better information, but from my personal bloodwork experience, if you were dehydrated enough to need fluids to bring down your glucose numbers, I’m sure it messes with a lot of your bloodwork. I’d just wait and do them again when you’re feeling better and go from there before giving them any worry. 
I’m glad you’re feeling better and hope you get your meds all straightened out! 

• Like 2