Menu

Our Christmas Eve dinner is on hold

My parents are supposed to be coming over for a traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner. They decided a couple days ago not to drive in the madness which constitutes our weather these past few weeks and since we both live near the Skytrain (our elevated rapid rail system), they figured that would be easy.

Well, both routes of the train are halted. One because of a tree down (the second time it's happened; the first one delayed my dh coming home this afternoon) and the other route due to switches freezing.

Our city is slowly grinding to a halt.

Just heard on the news that Greyhound has stopped its buses. Municipal buses are barely functioning. Air Canada cancelled all short & middle haul flights earlier today. A portion of the Trans Canada Highway is so snowed in that they considered closing it altogether but have relented & kept one lane open each way because it connects to the ferry terminal & people getting off the ferries wouldn't be able to drive anywhere.....

Over 30K people have no power.

So, we sit and wait. We'll have a small snack & go out into the garden to knock the heavy snow off the hedges. My 10 ft camellia is almost lying on the ground.....

Oh my. I really should turn on the news! I didn't realize it was that bad. My bil & sil are planning to come from Abbotsford after Christmas, but with weather like that the roads might not be open.

We're getting more snow here (Kelowna) than I've seen in years, too.

I hope everything works out, and you're able to have a nice dinner.

Lori

Sorry to hear about the weather! I hope your folks make it out your way quickly.

And on another note, I didn't know you are a Polska! So are we! I spent quite a bit of time today making sauerkraut and kolacky. Dh fried up the piroghis. Tomorrow we'll take all that and some yummy kielbasa over to mil's house and enjoy our Polish feast. We feel so lucky to live just 15-20 minutes from the Polish section of the city, where we can get the real deal on amazing Polish food (though I make the kolacky from scratch).