Menu

Cloth diapers for burp cloths

A dear friend and I saw some burp cloths made with cloth diapers and pretty fabric at a trendy little baby shop, they were so cute. They only had girly colors though, so I told her I could make her some with patterns she liked better. She gave me some new cloth diapers and I washed them for shrinkage and now they look awful! They are pilling all over. I've washed them half a dozen times and they are no better. Is it the diapers? Did I ruin them? Are there better cloth diapers that wash well? I don't want to waste this nice fabric I bought on these ugly diapers! I don't know anything about cloth diapers, maybe this happens to all of them, in which case I'll use something else. Thanks for your help!

The cheapie Gerber ones pill pretty badly but how much money does your friend want to spend on her burp cloths? I got my chinese prefolds from cotton babies. Are you going to sew fabric onto the diapers? You should do that before you wash them. Cloth diapers quilt up with washing. Target carries blue and pink prefolds that make good burp cloths and do not pill up or quilt. They are pretty inexpensive but you said she didn't want girly colors, right?

I don't mind the shrinkage or quilting up, but these are kind of scratchy with the pilling, not what I would think of for something next to my baby's face. I'm not going to ask her to buy different ones, I'll replace them with something softer that washes better. I can use these ugly ones for dusting or something. Does Babies R Us carry decent diapers? I have one of those not far from me. Her baby is due in two weeks, so I'd like to finish these quickly. Thanks for your help!

BRU doesn't carry anything but Gerber afiak.

I highly recommend www.cottonbabies.com I use the indian cotton prefolds and they are wonderful - a LONNNNNGGGGGGGGG way better than Gerber.

If you just can't order, but are willing to sew, my next best option would be buying birdseye from Hancock Fabric and making your own. Birdseye won't pill and stays soft.

You can just call a diaper service and buy the amount you want from them. They are maybe $2 or $3 dollars a piece. You just need to know if you want the regular sized ones or the infant... I'd take regular. Wash them on hot 2-3 times and you're set. I've seen some great diapers with the fabric on them...they'll be adorable:-)

Carrie:-)

BTW, there are good Gerber diapers, but you have to get the diaper service quality ones, and yes...there are better cloth diapers out there:-) My favorite burp type diaper, was the square hemp diaper that I got as a sample. It was two layers of hemp serged. It was too thick to fold as a diaper, but perfect for a lap pad, or burp diaper...