Menu

questions for public high school teachers in Washington state

AngieW in Texas

I am hoping to move from Texas to Washington state (probably Tacoma area) at the end of this school year. I hsed my kids K-12 and then got my alternative teaching certification. In Texas, I am certified in EC-12 SpEd, 7-12 Science, 7-12 Math, and ESL. I don't want to do SpEd again (was last in SpEd 8 years ago). I have been teaching high school science for the past 8 years (chemistry, physics, forensics, IPC).

In districts where I live now in Texas, schools want science teachers to have the composite certificate. It would be much more difficult to get a job with just a life science or just a physical science certificate. What do they want in Washington? I would really prefer to stick with physical sciences - really can't stand biology.

How difficult is it to get the  residency teacher certificate? General Science is one of the special requirement certificates, but if having just chemistry and science certifications won't restrict my ability to get hired, I'd rather NOT end up getting stuck with biology.

Anything special I should know about teaching high school in Washington? 

I cannot answer all of your questions.   However, years ago, my husband and I were trying to move back to WA state from CA.   We were newly married, no kids.

I got a job offer in Seattle.   The only thing I wanted to really tell you is that my credentials transferred without a problem at all.  The nuances of your question may be best answered by calling the state licensure department as they are very specific.

I had to call the NC State licensure Dept when I moved here as they messed up a few things and it took a while to straighten it all out.