Menu

Memoria Press Online Academy

ca06c

I’m looking forward to using the WTM academy but for younger grades, MPOA looks like a decent option. We’ve used some of their materials with success in the past but we are secular so I usually get them from their charter site.

for those that have done MPOA, how religious are the online courses?

They are openly religious.   How much so depends on the teacher.   There may or may not be prayer, discussion of the Bible, etc.  I am a Christian, so this never bothered me.   However, OTHER things about MPOA bothered me:

The quality is all over the place--  Some teachers are great, some have been terrible!    Plus, you don't get a lot of teacher feedback for the price.  Most everything is computer graded...so lots of multiple choice and T/F questions.   (This is a problem for me because a classical education should include writing and discussion.).   I love Memoria Press as a company.  They are fantastic.   Their online academy is not as great.  

You can search my profile for past posts about our experiences.  I believe they were in the high school post.  🙂

• Like 1

My dd did MPOA from 2017-2021. There is religious content, about on the par of a Catholic high school minus the religion class. So, biology included evolution but Latin had a lot of religious content because they use Henle which was written for Catholic schools. The teachers are all religious, but they vary as to how much they feel the need to share that with their students.

However, MPOA seems to have grown a bunch and their quality is not as consistent as it was when my dd was a student. That's a shame because she had an excellent experience with them. There were many written assignments on top of the quizzes that come from the student workbooks, especially in humanities subjects. Obviously math and science had homework, quizzes and tests and no papers, except a presentation for biology. But there were quite a few papers assigned for history and English.