Menu

Logic of English Foundations Readers?

matchaverde

I want to start Level A, but when I look at the B-D sample readers, I was not liking the artwork on these readers. And I am afraid my 5 year old would not be motivated to learn to read with LOE readers.

So I was wondering...

For anyone who has done LOE Foundations, how did your kid like the readers that come with the program? Did you end up having to supplement with something else?

We loved LOE, but the readers were my least favorite part. We did them once and moved on. They seemed to be a very small part of the program. My kid liked the process of cutting and gluing, though I’m not sure if the early levels still do that. For level C and D I also borrowed AAR (all about reading) readers as they seemed to follow the same flow and had more words per page. AAR readers helped us make the transition to chapter books after LOE D without feeling overwhelmed by all the words on the page.

Just looked at the sample readers, AAR readers are way better. To be honest out of all the phonics readers I've seen AAR has the best. They are actually really entertaining even from level 1 and they mix up the genres so there is more of a chance the student will be interested in some of them. 

I did supplement AAR with the LOE alphabet books.

I've got AAR and LoE.  The AAR readers are a lot better- lots more to read!  With both programs you will probably need to find more readers.  I have some from The Good and the Beautiful, too.  The little ones are available for free in the download.  You would need to print them off or use digitally. 

On 8/22/2023 at 4:10 PM, Tanager said:

We loved LOE, but the readers were my least favorite part. We did them once and moved on. They seemed to be a very small part of the program. My kid liked the process of cutting and gluing, though I’m not sure if the early levels still do that. For level C and D I also borrowed AAR (all about reading) readers as they seemed to follow the same flow and had more words per page. AAR readers helped us make the transition to chapter books after LOE D without feeling overwhelmed by all the words on the page.

From what I see from the Level A samples, there is some cutting and gluing to put the readers together. I don't see that for the later levels, unless I missed something for Level B?

And I am glad to hear that AAR follows the same flow as LOE, which makes sense since they are both OG based.

On 8/22/2023 at 5:13 PM, Clarita said:

Just looked at the sample readers, AAR readers are way better. To be honest out of all the phonics readers I've seen AAR has the best. They are actually really entertaining even from level 1 and they mix up the genres so there is more of a chance the student will be interested in some of them. 

I did supplement AAR with the LOE alphabet books.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know there is variation in genres for AAR and it is not all the same.

I have not heard of the LOE alphabet books; I will check them out!

Edit: Just realize that Doodling Dragons is one of the alphabet books.

21 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I've got AAR and LoE.  The AAR readers are a lot better- lots more to read!  With both programs you will probably need to find more readers.  I have some from The Good and the Beautiful, too.  The little ones are available for free in the download.  You would need to print them off or use digitally. 

It is tempting to do both programs but I really don't want to risk burnout. I like the idea of just keeping it simple but heh, I kind of ruined that by getting some Explode the Code primers to have some busy work for the kindergartener.

And good to know ahead of time that I will probably will need readers even if I go with both. We are not religious but will be happy to check TGATB to see if it is the right fit for a family. Thank you.

Edited by matchaverde

16 hours ago, matchaverde said:

From what I see from the Level A samples, there is some cutting and gluing to put the readers together. I don't see that for the later levels, unless I missed something for Level B?

We had the first edition workbooks we bought second hand and I believe back then the readers were tear outs in the back of the book for the early levels, I vaguely remember that they changed it. I could also be mistaken, but either way you’re not missing anything 🙂

• 3 months later...