Menu

WWS level 1 - how much time / day required?

Hello wise homeschool mamas,

My son is ready to start WWS level 1.  I’m reading through it very carefully, and the workload looks substantial. How long do you plan for a typical day if you follow the recommended 4 school days per week?  I’m thinking 1hr…. But hoping it would be faster!

If your child has done the online course through wtma, do they only cover partial material?  I can’t imagine 2 hours of class plus trying to faithfully complete all the weekly assignments.  

Thank you for your thoughts,

Evelyn

ps-I should probably add that my son is a strong writer.  The content in WWS will be new and a good challenge, but I think he is adequately prepared.  

Edited by Evelyn2108
  • Like 1

I highly recommend doubling up on easier days when they happen. Some of the paper writing days and weeks later in the series took us much longer than anticipated and the series dragged out longer than I had hoped. No regrets about doing it, but I wished we had moved faster in the first book and kept going so that talking the time we needed in later lessons didn't feel like we were getting behind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

I highly recommend doubling up on easier days when they happen. Some of the paper writing days and weeks later in the series took us much longer than anticipated and the series dragged out longer than I had hoped. No regrets about doing it, but I wished we had moved faster in the first book and kept going so that talking the time we needed in later lessons didn't feel like we were getting behind.

I've used WWS1 twice and this is what we did. We condensed the easier days to Monday and then usually left the writing to the rest of the week. I also let dd2 skip some sections if it was a skill I thought she had mastered so she had more time on other skills that were difficult or time consuming. I like wws but feel it overly complicated at places. I also felt if didn't leave enough time for compositions for mine. We modified it to work for us. Both of mine used it in 7th. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After about the halfway point of the book, the assignments take longer. If starting with a seventh or eighth grader, the books are doable one per year. We start earlier than that but move a little slower when more time is needed for the longer writing assignments. So for fifth and sixth grades, the pace we took has been a little less than one complete book per year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1