Menu

Biology for future nursing student

After taking several career exploration classes, DD has decided she would like to be a nurse.  We've always been a science light kind of family as none of my kids were interested in science fields.  She will be heading into 10th grade and I had planned to have her do Apologia's Biology with the At your Pace at Virtual Homeschool Group.  We've done very little with experiments in the past because my kids didn't enjoy the hands on aspects.  So there is zero knowledge of how to write a lab report (and of course with the AYOP version, I'd be the one checking it over).  Anyways with her interest in nursing, I'm thinking she might better served by an online class taught by someone more knowledgeable than I (and frankly I hated biology so I really don't want to be involved any more than absolutely necessary so stuff that requires minimal involvement from me is best).   

Any suggestions of Biology classes that would set a good foundation for a future nurse without being overly pricey (since I hadn't budgeted for it definitely need under $500 but less would be welcome too). I've looked at Thinkwell and FundaFunda. Thoughts or any other suggestions of curriculum to look at? 

Do you have a preference between secular or Christian? You mentioned Apologia, but also Fundafunda, so...?

I've always heard that the Fundafunda class is good. Blue Tent and Aim Academy would be two more to check out. I have a hunch that the Aim Academy class might suit what you're looking for. There are also several good ones at the Christian providers. I've heard that the Kristin Moon class at True North is good.

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Do you have a preference between secular or Christian? You mentioned Apologia, but also Fundafunda, so...?

I've always heard that the Fundafunda class is good. Blue Tent and Aim Academy would be two more to check out. I have a hunch that the Aim Academy class might suit what you're looking for. There are also several good ones at the Christian providers. I've heard that the Kristin Moon class at True North is good.

While I typically choose Christian materials, I'm not opposed to using secular when it meets our needs and in this case, setting her up with a good foundational biology class is the main criteria and if it happens to be Christian well that's an added bonus.  Thank you for the other suggestions, I will go take a look!

10 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

...Anyways with her interest in nursing, I'm thinking she might better served by an online class taught by someone more knowledgeable than I (and frankly I hated biology so I really don't want to be involved any more than absolutely necessary so stuff that requires minimal involvement from me is best).   

Any suggestions of Biology classes that would set a good foundation for a future nurse without being overly pricey (since I hadn't budgeted for it definitely need under $500 but less would be welcome too). I've looked at Thinkwell and FundaFunda. Thoughts or any other suggestions of curriculum to look at? 

Look at Nursing programs at both trade schools, community colleges and universities in your state and see if you can ID which subjects and textbooks they are using. Then go on eBay and find the slightly older editions of the books being used. If you have second hand bookstores in your city or a neighboring city go in person and have a look-see.

You  can get actual textbooks that a nursing student would use for $5 - $25. There's definitely no reason to spend 500 dollars on a biology course because your student wants to become a nurse.

You can purchase your student quality textbooks and workbooks on Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Medical Terminology, Paitient Care, Dosage Math and NCLEX Test Prep for well under $500.

• Like 1