Menu

I think I have too many history books

ktgrok

EDIT!!! I was wrong! Woke Homeschool DOES schedule An Indegenous People's History!   I am going to buy that guide and then tweak! Still open to other suggestions though. 

I bought History Quest US and the guidebook, which as is will work for the 5th grader, but also got Zinn's A People's History of the United States for Young People, An Indigenous History of the United States for Young People, and A Different Mirror for Young People, with the idea that I'll work through those with my 8th grader in addition to having her listen in to the History Quest readings. I have no idea how or if I'm adding my 1st grader into any of this, other than some picture books or maybe Woke Homeschool's elementary program or something. 

But now i'm trying to figure out HOW to work these resources all together. Yikes! Build Your Library uses the Indegenous People's History and A Different Mirror, but not Zinn, and does it over 2 years. Woke Homeschool is one year and  uses Zinn's book and A Different Mirror, but not the Indigenous People's History, which seems important. 

So now I'm trying to figure out if we use all of them, chronologically, or one book at a time, or what. Any suggestions? 

Edited by ktgrok

A couple years ago, we looked into History Quest, but ultimately decided against it. Jr. selected the Zinn book A Young Peoples History of the United States from the library book sale and he has read through it a couple of times. It's not really a year-long book.

Does your child already have a basic knowledge of the overview of US History and Geography?

Does each resource go in chronological order?

If the books go in chronological order, then one idea is that you could read each time-period across the books for a more complete development of history, maybe?

23 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

What is this "too many history books" you speak of?  I do not understand this problem!  😍

LOL, we won't discuss all the other books I have on my shelves I'm not even using, lol. 

2 hours ago, mathmarm said:

A couple years ago, we looked into History Quest, but ultimately decided against it. Jr. selected the Zinn book A Young Peoples History of the United States from the library book sale and he has read through it a couple of times. It's not really a year-long book.

Does your child already have a basic knowledge of the overview of US History and Geography?

Does each resource go in chronological order?

If the books go in chronological order, then one idea is that you could read each time-period across the books for a more complete development of history, maybe?

They do. but I think I solved the problem by paying $49 for the Oh, Freedom curriculum 🙂 They schedule all these books, plus a bunch more. And it is flexible enough I can swap out a few things here and there if need be. (like adding in a few things on LGBTQ history, etc). I'm going to do the one that is labled for 3rd-7th, it looks plenty meaty for 8th but I can always add in some extra reading/research for DD13, and do a bit less with DS. They also have a program for K-2nd that I got for my rising 1st grader that follows the same timeline, but is picture book based.