Menu

WWYD: saving money on math curriculum for 1st grader

Ting Tang

My rising 3rd grader used Abeka Grade 1 arithmetic and then transitioned to Singapore Dimensions Grade 2 this last year.  She acknowledges the math is harder, but overall, I thought she did alright with it.  She thinks she wants to stick with it for next year.

I just discovered I held onto the Abeka Grade 1 arithmetic materials, so maybe I could use it for my rising 1st grader?  All I need are two consumables, which will cost $38.  I also plan to use the Language Arts, since I have a lot of that, too.  I may hold onto the Singapore Dimensions Grade 2 materials I already own for this child, but I wonder if spending $100+ is worth it to bridge the gap between grade 1 and grade 2?  I thought about buying a Singapore Grade 1 extra practice book (not Dimensions, but for the basics), and I would still be money ahead.  I do think he will be a pretty good math student.  We used the KB Dimensions for the second half of the year.

So do I save some money or spend it by just buying Dimensions grade 1?  How important is that grade 1 conceptual foundation?  I do have four kids to buy for this year.

Side note: I do not enjoy buying certain things used if I still need to buy a few things to complete the set.  This would be one of them I want to buy new. 

Edited by Ting Tang

"Fit" beats saving money every time for me. Just my experience: DS#1 (math-minded) and DS#2 (math struggler) were SO completely different in their math abilities and what program worked for each, that saving money by reusing would not have been an option, in order for DS#2 to actually learn math -- esp. in the early elementary grades. (I had to go through 5 programs in 4 years to find what worked for DS#2.)

So I personally would NOT reuse for a younger student unless the program was a GOOD fit for that younger student. If the fit was only "okay" and a different math program would be a really GOOD fit and more interesting for the younger student, "fit" still beats out saving money for me.

If money is very very tight, then what about possibly borrowing the "good-fit" math program from a fellow homeschooler. Or buying used, even if it's not your favorite way to go.

If, on the other hand, you feel that from what you have seen of younger student and his ability with the way math is presented in Abeka Grade 1, and you feel that would click for that student -- sure, reuse. But do so knowing you'll likely hit that spot again of wanting to transfer that younger student to Dimensions for grade 2... And then there will still be students #3 and #4 to consider how they will fit with Abeka grade 1 + switch to Dimensions grade 2... And I can almost guarantee that with 4 students, SOMEone is going to need yet a completely DIFFERENT program all the way through for Math... 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

"Fit" beats saving money every time for me. Just my experience: DS#1 (math-minded) and DS#2 (math struggler) were SO completely different in their math abilities and what program worked for each, that saving money by reusing would not have been an option, in order for DS#2 to actually learn math -- esp. in the early elementary grades. (I had to go through 5 programs in 4 years to find what worked for DS#2.)

So I personally would NOT reuse for a younger student unless the program was a GOOD fit for that younger student. If the fit was only "okay" and a different math program would be a really GOOD fit and more interesting for the younger student, "fit" still beats out saving money for me.

If money is very very tight, then what about possibly borrowing the "good-fit" math program from a fellow homeschooler. Or buying used, even if it's not your favorite way to go.

If, on the other hand, you feel that from what you have seen of younger student and his ability with the way math is presented in Abeka Grade 1, and you feel that would click for that student -- sure, reuse. But do so knowing you'll likely hit that spot again of wanting to transfer that younger student to Dimensions for grade 2... And then there will still be students #3 and #4 to consider how they will fit with Abeka grade 1 + switch to Dimensions grade 2... And I can almost guarantee that with 4 students, SOMEone is going to need yet a completely DIFFERENT program all the way through for Math... 😉

Thank you so much!  He is our last, so whatever he uses, I will eventually sell anyway.  At this point, I feel like either curriculum would be good for him.  We were just quoted over $5k for a new a/c since writing this, so now Abeka really sounds good, ha ha!  I just wonder how important the conceptual foundation laid in 1st grade is, to the extent, it cannot be overcome in 2nd for an average to above average young child.  The bonus is I have taught Abeka 1st, so it might make my days go better.  Singapore Dimensions will be a new adventure for 1st.  I appreciate you taking the time to say what you would do, so I can think about that, too! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you so much!  He is our last, so whatever he uses, I will eventually sell anyway.  At this point, I feel like either curriculum would be good for him.  We were just quoted over $5k for a new a/c since writing this, so now Abeka really sounds good, ha ha!  I just wonder how important the conceptual foundation laid in 1st grade is, to the extent, it cannot be overcome in 2nd for an average to above average young child.  The bonus is I have taught Abeka 1st, so it might make my days go better.  Singapore Dimensions will be a new adventure for 1st.  I appreciate you taking the time to say what you would do, so I can think about that, too! 

Gotcha. I confused you with a different poster with 4 children, all young. 😉

Sounds like you have a solid plan!

(And, I feel your pain re: cost of a new AC unit. Two years ago, we unexpectedly had to spend $10K on a new AC/heat pac. Granted, the old was 20yo, but still... not a fun cost to have to absorb!)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Gotcha. I confused you with a different poster with 4 children, all young. 😉

Sounds like you have a solid plan!

(And, I feel your pain re: cost of a new AC unit. Two years ago, we unexpectedly had to spend $10K on a new AC/heat pac. Granted, the old was 20yo, but still... not a fun cost to have to absorb!)

Ouch!  We replaced a furnace a couple of years ago.  And this unit is about 20 years old, so it is time.  I think what I can do is buy an extra practice book for Singapore, too.  

Me? I would save my money. I always prioritized finances and then my needs as a teacher over whatever was going on in the workbook/worksheet.

If I got it for free--we used it. If I got it for only a few dollars--we used it.

In my experience teaching my own children and tutoring students it's the teaching (as in the words you speak to the student, the manipulatives/models that you use, the energy and attending that you, the living-breathing adult put in) that matters, not so much not the worksheets in the book.

The foundation that's laid in K-3rd grade absolutely matters--so lay a good one.  But please know that you can lay a great foundation regardless of which worksheets you give your child.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gil said:

Me? I would save my money. I always prioritized finances and then my needs as a teacher over whatever was going on in the workbook/worksheet.

If I got it for free--we used it. If I got it for only a few dollars--we used it.

In my experience teaching my own children and tutoring students it's the teaching (as in the words you speak to the student, the manipulatives/models that you use, the energy and attending that you, the living-breathing adult put in) that matters, not so much not the worksheets in the book.

The foundation that's laid in K-3rd grade absolutely matters--so lay a good one.  But please know that you can lay a great foundation regardless of which worksheets you give your child.

I decided to save the money, lol.  Just placed my Abeka order, ha ha!  I do think I will buy the Singapore Extra Practice book, just in case there is something that could help me explain some concept differently.  I was able to find another child's math at nearly half the cost, too--it looks like the curriculum didn't work for the family, so I am hopefully getting everything I need in one shipment.  1st grade is important, but maybe choosing a traditional math I've taught before will help us focus on phonics and reading--that is where he needs the most help.

10 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I decided to save the money, lol.  Just placed my Abeka order, ha ha!  I do think I will buy the Singapore Extra Practice book, just in case there is something that could help me explain some concept differently...

I suspect that you have not fully grasped the concept of saving the money!

Don't buy anything extra until it's demonstrated that what you have can not be used to meet your childs needs.

Just use the materials you have and if you need something else a bit of online research on teaching xyz-skill will help fill in the gaps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gil said:

I suspect that you have not fully grasped the concept of saving the money!

Don't buy anything extra until it's demonstrated that what you have can not be used to meet your childs needs.

Just use the materials you have and if you need something else a bit of online research on teaching xyz-skill will help fill in the gaps.

I saw the price and decided not to buy it just yet, lol. You’re right! I will wait. 😊