Menu

The Spelling Book for Primary Grades by William Draper Swan - vintage spelling book- any experiences?

Ting Tang

While researching how to use the McGuffey Eclectic Spelling Book, I came across another vintage book that in contrast includes spelling rules.  It was mentioned in a thread here, but I am not quite sure how to use it across different grade levels.  Is anyone familiar with this?  The title is: The Spelling Book for Primary Grades by William Draper Swan, and below is a link to it. 

The spelling-book ...: consisting of words in columns and sentences for oral ... : William Draper Swan : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

• Like 1

I don’t use that particular speller, but I made a procedure list for the Aldine speller we do use. 

For example:

Step 1: Read through your new word list (or dictation). 

Step 2: Define any words you are unfamiliar with.

Step 3: Study each word and identify the “special sounds”  (I’m used to Abeka) and break into syllables. Older kids: identify prefix, suffix and root words.

Step 4: Identify the spelling rule for each word 

Step 5: Study your words and your analysis from steps 3&4 until you are ready to test. You may use the spelling activity box to practice writing words if you wish. 

I use a syllable rule poster set and a spelling rules poster set from TPT. I put them in a binder for reference. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnneGG said:

I don’t use that particular speller, but I made a procedure list for the Aldine speller we do use. 

For example:

Step 1: Read through your new word list (or dictation). 

Step 2: Define any words you are unfamiliar with.

Step 3: Study each word and identify the “special sounds”  (I’m used to Abeka) and break into syllables. Older kids: identify prefix, suffix and root words.

Step 4: Identify the spelling rule for each word 

Step 5: Study your words and your analysis from steps 3&4 until you are ready to test. You may use the spelling activity box to practice writing words if you wish. 

I use a syllable rule poster set and a spelling rules poster set from TPT. I put them in a binder for reference. 

Thank you so much for sharing your list! I've never heard of this one, either, but I like how the volumes are broken into grades!  I have also used Abeka, so I know those special sounds...lol

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Thank you so much for sharing your list! I've never heard of this one, either, but I like how the volumes are broken into grades!  I have also used Abeka, so I know those special sounds...lol

Yes, I like that’s broken down into

levels. Less for me to do. Ha!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 6:50 PM, AnneGG said:

Yes, I like that’s broken down into

levels. Less for me to do. Ha!

Yes, less guesswork!  The book I was looking at looks absolutely wonderful form the start, but I am not sure how far we'd get if we just started everyone at the beginning.  I have seen some lesson guidelines for the McGuffey book. 

I don't use this. I do like when the spelling book gives me the list of words (I know I could do it but nice when someone else gives me a to fall back on.) 

What I would do with it would be to read the sections myself to see what I'm suppose to be teaching and look through the list and dictations. Then I would present it to the kid(s). A few reasons here, I've found that even with more contemporary books sometimes our regional pronunciation is different than the books. Sometimes I don't use the words they use on their list and sometimes there's extra stuff that we need to have a blurb about. 

I tried to start my kids at the same level (they are just 1.5 years apart). They naturally drifted apart because the eldest was ready to move on while the youngest needed more time. I think you can start them all at the beginning and your stronger spellers (and/or older children) will just breeze through and others will need to take it slower and it'll be obvious to you. (Now will there be trouble if a younger sibling overtakes an older sibling... I don't know.) 

Edited by Clarita
typo
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 2:21 PM, Ting Tang said:

Yes, less guesswork!  The book I was looking at looks absolutely wonderful form the start, but I am not sure how far we'd get if we just started everyone at the beginning.  I have seen some lesson guidelines for the McGuffey book. 

I looked through the first 70 pages or so. I like it! I think I would use it for 3rd and up. I’d probably start everyone at the beginning, but let them move at their own pace. It looks like towards the end it doesn’t focus on spelling rules as much as word origins? I think these books were designed to be used over several school years so I wouldn’t worry too much about finishing it in a year. 

I’m curious to know if you print your vintage books? I usually do but I always wonder if that’s the best option. 

• Like 1