Menu

Suggestions for non-AOPS Calculus after completing AOPS through pre-calc?

Because we use AOPS with our kids, I've been asked for help with choosing a math curriculum to switch to, and I'm at a bit of a loss so I thought I'd ask here. 

What would the Hive suggest for a kid who has successfully used AOPS for math through pre-calculus, but this year is struggling with the calculus book? This is a senior, already accepted and committed to a college, will not be majoring in anything mathy (and is not taking the AP Calc exam), and is generally motivated and works efficiently. They're looking for something to be completed independently, finishing over the summer months if needed. 

Yes, all parties (me included) are aware it's April, but I thought I'd ask because I only have experience with AOPS.

TIA!

My son did AOPS pre-algebra through precalculus. I switched him to Larson Calculus EFT 6th edition for Calculus. To cover roughly calc 1, you could skip chapter 1 (it's precalc review), and do chapters 2-5 in their entirety, and do sections 6.1-6.3 along with 7.1-7.3. Solutions for odd problems can be found on https://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-6e/ Since he's not starting from scratch, it should be doable.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, silver said:

My son did AOPS pre-algebra through precalculus. I switched him to Larson Calculus EFT 6th edition for Calculus. To cover roughly calc 1, you could skip chapter 1 (it's precalc review), and do chapters 2-5 in their entirety, and do sections 6.1-6.3 along with 7.1-7.3. Solutions for odd problems can be found on https://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-6e/ Since he's not starting from scratch, it should be doable.

That might just work! Thank you also for the suggested tweaks.