Menu

Physics Prep discussion forum?

My physics plan for next year is falling apart, because that's what always happens to me, so now I'm leaning toward AP Physics 1 at Physics Prep for my 12th grader. I have trouble seeing the advantage of paying way more for the same material through PA Homeschoolers since it's not a synchronous class, but if someone wants to try to talk me into that instead, please do! Anyway, my last kid did the same thing, but we didn't pay extra for access to the discussion forum, where, apparently, they'll answer questions if you have them. He will probably have questions and there's no one here with any recent physics experience to answer them for him. so...anyone used the course with the discussion forum? helpful? worth it? anyone done it?

9 minutes ago, kokotg said:

My physics plan for next year is falling apart, because that's what always happens to me, so now I'm leaning toward AP Physics 1 at Physics Prep for my 12th grader. I have trouble seeing the advantage of paying way more for the same material through PA Homeschoolers since it's not a synchronous class, but if someone wants to try to talk me into that instead, please do! Anyway, my last kid did the same thing, but we didn't pay extra for access to the discussion forum, where, apparently, they'll answer questions if you have them. He will probably have questions and there's no one here with any recent physics experience to answer them for him. so...anyone used the course with the discussion forum? helpful? worth it? anyone done it?

Ds is doing Physics 2 this year.  We didn't pay for the access, but I did ask and you can add it at any point that you want it.  So far we've done okay with google and the Physics text we have.  Full disclosure: I do do it with him because he is not great at actually doing the work to figure out what he doesn't understand.  He does better when I watch the videos with him and help him figure out why he's getting things wrong.  But I can think of only one topic we kind of left a bit confused (at the most advanced things in it--some complicated circuits.)  If your ds would use the forum and would know how to phrase what he's confused about, I can see how it would be useful.  My ds probably wouldn't take full advantage of it.  But I could be wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, freesia said:

Ds is doing Physics 2 this year.  We didn't pay for the access, but I did ask and you can add it at any point that you want it.  So far we've done okay with google and the Physics text we have.  Full disclosure: I do do it with him because he is not great at actually doing the work to figure out what he doesn't understand.  He does better when I watch the videos with him and help him figure out why he's getting things wrong.  But I can think of only one topic we kind of left a bit confused (at the most advanced things in it--some complicated circuits.)  If your ds would use the forum and would know how to phrase what he's confused about, I can see how it would be useful.  My ds probably wouldn't take full advantage of it.  But I could be wrong.

Thank you--that's helpful! I just asked my husband a few minutes ago if he was interested in doing the class together with DS so he'd be able to help with it (he's a math teacher, so better suited for it than I am). He was...not excited about the idea 😂 

• Like 1