Menu

Any experience with Chemexplained or Experience Chemistry?

I am researching some options for next year and these look promising. I have found lots of reviews on Chemexplained but not on Journey Homeschool's Experience Chemistry.

This is for a struggling learner who is college bound but no idea what he will study. He is likely to need NCAA accredited which I have seen that Chemexplained has been approved but have not seen anything about Experience Chemistry. 

I have also considered Berean Builders which is what my dd used but it may be a stretch for him...and some of his friends will be using Masterbooks Chemistry so that may be an option for him to join them for labs . . . but I am hesitant to use MB . . . 

56 minutes ago, flmom79 said:

Can I ask why you are hesitant to use MB chemistry? We have a hybrid school option open to us next year that would be using that, and I'm not familiar with it. What's the downside?

It seems "light." I don't know if my ds will be in a STEM field, I doubt he will, and MB Chemistry may be sufficient but because it is significantly lighter than what we used for my dd, I hesitate. But in the end, they are different kids and lighter may be just what he needs . . . 

• Like 1

My son used Experience Chemistry last year when it was brand new and we dropped it half way through the year.  He was so confused and he’s not a struggling learner.  We had to get my father’s help (he’s a former chemistry teacher) and Khan Academy for explanations.  They are now advertising it as an honor’s chemistry course, which they weren’t doing when we signed up.  It was very disappointing. Several of my friend’s kids used it as well and all four students hated it. Two dropped it.  I found much of the note-taking to be tedious and mind-numbing.  We switched to Guest Hollow’s Chemistry in the Kitchen which was a success for my young musician who has no plans to major in science. So I do not recommend it at all, and I like Journey Homeschool.  My son took their astronomy course and it was great, and my younger child took their earth science and we were pleased with that one as well.  Luke Gilkerson teaches both of those, but his wife, Trisha, teaches chemistry.

• Like 2

I just looked at Journey Homeschool Academy’s site and this is what it says in their “Questions” section:

It’s important to note that Experience Chemistry is a rigorous math-based, honors level chemistry course. Students who have taken this course in 11th and 12th grade have had the most success.

On 3/8/2023 at 10:21 PM, RubyPenn said:

My son used Experience Chemistry last year when it was brand new and we dropped it half way through the year.  He was so confused and he’s not a struggling learner.  We had to get my father’s help (he’s a former chemistry teacher) and Khan Academy for explanations.  They are now advertising it as an honor’s chemistry course, which they weren’t doing when we signed up.  It was very disappointing. Several of my friend’s kids used it as well and all four students hated it. Two dropped it.  I found much of the note-taking to be tedious and mind-numbing.  We switched to Guest Hollow’s Chemistry in the Kitchen which was a success for my young musician who has no plans to major in science. So I do not recommend it at all, and I like Journey Homeschool.  My son took their astronomy course and it was great, and my younger child took their earth science and we were pleased with that one as well.  Luke Gilkerson teaches both of those, but his wife, Trisha, teaches chemistry.

This is helpful, thank you! ok, narrowed down to ChemExplained and MB!

• Like 1