Menu

books / essays / poems for high school seniors

I'm probably opening myself up to more tears than I'm ready to shed, but . . . give me some recommendations for read-aloud books / special essays / meaningful poems for high school seniors? 

This is not our first graduate, but - I need something . . . different than I already have  . . . meaningful . . . love & respect & well wishes & hope. I know you folks are full of treasures.

• Like 1

(((((hugs))))) @Lucy the Valiant

My number one book that is filled with hope, loyalty, choosing the good/hard choice, sacrifice, redemption, and many other ideas that are part of the Christian walk of faith is the Lord of the Rings trilogy (Tolkien). But that is long, and may not be exactly what you are looking for as something different... 😉

These two books are at the top of comfort re-reads (that are also beautifully written) for when I am feeling overwhelmed and need hope and kindness:

The Goblin Emperor (Addison) 
Fantasy, but very realistic characters in their motivations, words, choices, and thinking. I love the gentle main character, who is thrust into a position of power after having been outcast and abused for his growing up years, and how his choices for compassion transforms himself, as well as others around him.

The Other Bennet Sister (Hadlow)
Realistic/historical fiction. Te events of Pride & Prejudice, and then after, all through the eyes of Mary Bennet (Lizzie's next younger sister). This unfolds slowly, but it is wonderful to be able to savor it.

These also are lovely:
David Copperfield (Dickens) -- novel of overcoming
Kisses From Katie (Majors) -- Christian; autobiography; inspiring in her love and kindness
Leaf By Niggle (Tolkien) -- Christian; short story; kind, hopeful, loving, inspiring 
Smith of Wootton Major (Tolkien) -- Christian; short story; inspiring
In This House of Brede (Godden) -- follows a woman in the 1960s who leaves her successful career to enter t

essays
Desiderata (Ehrmann) -- not quite poetry, not quite prose, and very short to be an essay; more of a "list to live by"

poems
Hope is the Thing With Feathers (Dickinson)
Dreams (Hughes)
Let the Evening Come (Kenyon)

I have NO experience with these, and that last 2 esp. may have mature/adult subject matter, so you will want to preview. But they sound very interesting:

- The Lightest Object in the Universe (Eisele) -- themes of reliance, adaptation, power of community working together
- The Alchemist (Coelho) -- searching for life purpose/trying to establish a vision for it
- I Am Malala (Yousafzai) -- forgiveness/perseverance
- Letters to My Daughter (Angelou) -- kindness; collection of essays
- Yes Please (Poehler) -- kindness; collection of essays 

Edited by Lori D.