Menu

Sight Word flash cards question

MicheleB

I have several sets of sight word flash cards and just picture cards with the words underneath them that I am using with both dss. I've also started labeling things in the house.

Today we worked on flash cards for about 25 minutes. We looked at the words and pictures, said the words (they sounded out what they could), and then separated the cards into categories (a tricky are for them). Then we played Crazy Eights (picture cards). By the time we were finished with that, with most of it being 'game playing', the boys were glassy-eyed. ;) I could tell my 9yo esp. was fatigued and it was time to call it quits.

My question is: with only 10 minutes of actual reading flash cards, should I be attempting this a few times a day? I don't want it to get to the point where they do NOT want to do them. Right now, they enjoy it and enjoy the game part as well. I'd like to keep it that way. :)

I haven't even attempted much math. It would just be another flash card time right now and I think it might get to be too much. We're baking a lot and I'm having them help me with that. But I just can't imagine adding another flashcard time to the mix, unless I do it twice a week instead of every day???

My 9yo is the one whose eyes start looking fatigued, rubs his eyes, holds his head after any length of time with just concentraing on reading. But 8yo gets there soon enough as well.

Otherwise, they're learning to play chess and doing quite well!! I'm amazed! Dh and I started teaching them this summer and this past week or so they've been playing for hours each day. It boggles my mind. :D

I'd go with shorter spurts more frequently. I think its a great idea to make it into a game that they compete and share. I'd do 3 short lessons per day, for maybe only 5 minutes per session, building them up to 10 minutes per session after several weeks. Do one first thing in the morning, one right before/after lunch and one in the late afternoon.

I'd also find some fun early reading software and see if you can induce them into trying that; Starfalls or something like it.

Do you use audio books or read aloud to them?

For math, instead of flash cards, how about manipulatives? Cuisinaire Rods are a great way to teach basic math skills. An abacus, dice or MUS blocks would be other options.

Curious, why flash cards and sight reading? Is there a problem?

My boys have both been diagnosed with a severe visual processing disorder. They at this point cannot make much sense of print and struggle just to see the letters 'the same way' each time they look at them. They also have lower-end IQs (84 and 85) and it has been suggested that sight words is a good route for now, while they await various therapies. We also use Explode the Code.

Because of their visual problems, they can only handle short amounts of 'print time' before they get fatigued. We've noticed that older ds has begun recognizing whole words by sight, so for now we feel that's the best method for them until we see what vision therapy might do.:)

Wow, sorry Michele. Then I would do what you are doing and just like any other exercise, slowly add. Is there any specific therapy that would help? Wish I could be of more assistance. My son's OT wanted him to be seen by a special opthamalogist but he was wayyyyyy expensive and we couldn't do it. She was looking for problems with motility. Does that sound familiar?

I'd go with shorter spurts more frequently. I think its a great idea to make it into a game that they compete and share. I'd do 3 short lessons per day, for maybe only 5 minutes per session, building them up to 10 minutes per session after several weeks. Do one first thing in the morning, one right before/after lunch and one in the late afternoon.

I will have to work on adding another session at least. The days just fly by before I realize it!

I'd also find some fun early reading software and see if you can induce them into trying that; Starfalls or something like it.

That's a good idea. 9yo ds used Starfall a few years ago but became frustrated with it at a certain point. Maybe we can re-introduce that.

Do you use audio books or read aloud to them?

I do read aloud and they do absorb much of what I read, thankfully! We just finished Sounder and are now reading Shiloh. Anything about a boy and his animals is a hit here. :001_smile:

For math, instead of flash cards, how about manipulatives? Cuisinaire Rods are a great way to teach basic math skills. An abacus, dice or MUS blocks would be other options.

I guess I'm just confused about how to use manipulatives *without* any written work. For instance, they love to play dominoes, so today I thought we could look at one side of the domino and then add the other side and come up with an answer. But as far as doing it systematically and/or using written work alongside it, I'm not sure how to do that. I hate to add number confusion when they're having letter-confusion already, KWIM? Math concepts seem hard to them as well, which I think is all part of the abstract learning deficit they have at this point. Symbols don't mean anything to them, so for instance, they confuse 'add' and 'subtract', or can't remember what adding is or subtracting is. Just not real sure what to do for math right now.

Thanks for your ideas! :)

Wow, sorry Michele. Then I would do what you are doing and just like any other exercise, slowly add. Is there any specific therapy that would help? Wish I could be of more assistance. My son's OT wanted him to be seen by a special opthamalogist but he was wayyyyyy expensive and we couldn't do it. She was looking for problems with motility. Does that sound familiar?

We are scheduled for our first vision therapy evaluation in January. Hopefully that will either be a big "AHA" moment for us or a big "This is a waste of time" moment, as it's 2 hours away. We'll see...

In January, they will both also resume their speech and language therapy and probably OT.

I haven't heard of 'motility'. I'm really curious what the VT does have to say she thinks the problems are.

Oh and what about less visual and more auditory approach? You know the idea of encoding (spelling) verbally vs decoding (reading). Some of the things I have picked up from these very wonderful boards.

Yes, I think learning some simple words auditorally would be a good idea. They can spell simple cvc words aloud, but not necessarily on paper. I guess it could be just a memorization of letter names, even if they can't sound them out right now, huh?

I guess I'm just confused about how to use manipulatives *without* any written work. For instance, they love to play dominoes, so today I thought we could look at one side of the domino and then add the other side and come up with an answer. But as far as doing it systematically and/or using written work alongside it, I'm not sure how to do that. I hate to add number confusion when they're having letter-confusion already, KWIM? Math concepts seem hard to them as well, which I think is all part of the abstract learning deficit they have at this point. Symbols don't mean anything to them, so for instance, they confuse 'add' and 'subtract', or can't remember what adding is or subtracting is. Just not real sure what to do for math right now.

Thanks for your ideas! :)

Actually, you can do math without written symbols. You can teach them to count, add and subtract verbally. You don't need to use the technical vocabulary "addition" or "subtraction". You can say, "he got more - he got less". Use toys. Say, "I have one lego, go get me two more. Now I have three." Chant their addition and subtraction facts with them without using flash cards. Say, "One and one more is two. One and two more is three. One and three more is four....." As you chant move the manipulatives to illustrate. Latter when their really firm on the concepts and have their basic fact memorized, then add in the symbols. It'll be so much easier because they won't be working on the underlying concept only on symbol recognition.

I really recommend Cuisinaire rods with the simple early instruction booklet. Here's a link:http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Idea+Book+for+Cuisenaire+Rods+at+Primary+Level/005104/1229655253-570505

That's one of the things I like about Saxon math. They teach addition and subtraction verbally, kinesthecally(sp?) and visually. My kids are making up some, some more and some, some went away stories with their stuffed animals and then doing the number sentence that goes along with it. Of course they are learning math facts and such as well, but the they are getting the concept of taking some and adding some more to it. KWIM? Maybe you could do stuff like that with them and then you write the problem down on the board. It may become tedious but. . .Repititio sturiorum mater. (Repetition is the mother of learning):001_smile: