Menu

Fellow coffee people, please come in

Spryte

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Updating this thread to say that low-acid coffee sold locally under that name is a truly disgusting beverage. Even with frothed milk. I caved, and made an espresso. Set it on a table nearby, enjoyed the aroma, drank three sips. 

In good news, I managed to get through the day without killing anyone.

Going to order better beans. As a general rule, I hate all preground, stale beans anyway.

If the next batch is a fail, too, I will have to survive two months of treatment without coffee. 😳 Telling myself I can do anything for two months, to beat this monster. (Said hopefully!) 

Sipping dandelion tea, contemplating asking DH to move the espresso machine out of sight.

I wonder if there might be a fascinating and wonderful new drink that will help?

I really enjoy rooibos tea. I have no idea if it's acidic or not. But it's got a deep, rich, full-throated kinda flavor. I buy loose-leaf tea. A super-mellow flavor is rooibos-mango. Rooibos-jasmine has just a hint of caffeine if you want a pick-me-up and it's very smooth. My favorite is rooibos with mixed berry. I drink all without sugar because the flavor has so much depth I find I don't even want any sugar.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I wonder if there might be a fascinating and wonderful new drink that will help?

I really enjoy rooibos tea. I have no idea if it's acidic or not. But it's got a deep, rich, full-throated kinda flavor. I buy loose-leaf tea. A super-mellow flavor is rooibos-mango. Rooibos-jasmine has just a hint of caffeine if you want a pick-me-up and it's very smooth. My favorite is rooibos with mixed berry. I drink all without sugar because the flavor has so much depth I find I don't even want any sugar.

I will ask on Monday about that one! Sounds yummy. My tea choices are fairly limited as well (acid content, ugh). I’ve got dandelion, marshmallow, peppermint and chamomile that are on the ok list. There may be more.

The catch is keeping anything very low acid. Apparently the lining of my bladder looks like it’s gone through a paper shredder, so any acidic liquids are excruciating. Maybe TMI!

DH is threatening to find a caffeine patch. 🤪More than the caffeine, we have a definite coffee culture here, and so replacing that with a complex new hot drink obsession might work.

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

Updating this thread to say that low-acid coffee sold locally under that name is a truly disgusting beverage. Even with frothed milk. I caved, and made an espresso. Set it on a table nearby, enjoyed the aroma, drank three sips. 

In good news, I managed to get through the day without killing anyone.

Going to order better beans. As a general rule, I hate all preground, stale beans anyway.

If the next batch is a fail, too, I will have to survive two months of treatment without coffee. 😳 Telling myself I can do anything for two months, to beat this monster. (Said hopefully!) 

Sipping dandelion tea, contemplating asking DH to move the espresso machine out of sight.

Nevermind: My question was answered in your last post.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I wonder what the acidity levels are in Yerba Maté?

Have you had Yerba Maté?

Super popular in South America. Nice levels of caffeine. Best brewed at lower temps (160-170 F) so perhaps like cold brew coffee (which isn't on the table why?) perhaps the lower temp brew might reduce acidity. Doesn't seem acidic.

Somehow the caffeine in Yerba Maté seems to have a slightly different effect--very clear and clean--which doesn't make sense pharmacologically (or does it?). I don't know.

I enjoy Maté. There are many "styles" available.

Bill

• Thanks 1