Menu

easy coding for older kids

ProudGrandma

I don't know the age range you're looking for, exactly, but you might check out 30 Days Lost In Space.  It's a kit from Radio Shack that has them learn to code with specific missions.

Little Bits offer more toy-like coding kits.  It's by the same company as Sphero.  There's also the older standby of Lego Mindstorms, and an interesting toy (Turing Tumble?) that uses coding properties without electronics.

5 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I don't know the age range you're looking for, exactly, but you might check out 30 Days Lost In Space.  It's a kit from Radio Shack that has them learn to code with specific missions.

Little Bits offer more toy-like coding kits.  It's by the same company as Sphero.  There's also the older standby of Lego Mindstorms, and an interesting toy (Turing Tumble?) that uses coding properties without electronics.

this is for a group of older special education students...so the ages are 15 years to 21 one...but the ability is more like 10 years old....but they know they are older students and don't want to be treated like a 10 year old....

5 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

this is for a group of older special education students...so the ages are 15 years to 21 one...but the ability is more like 10 years old....but they know they are older students and don't want to be treated like a 10 year old....

I think MindStorms might be a good bet for you.  Legos are all-age, and the pieces are popular in high school teams but easy enough for a 6yo to figure out the basics.  They're also muted (red, black, white) in color and don't have the same childish feel that something bright teal and pink has.

I'll still plug for Turing Tumble. The pieces are smaller but the immediate cause/effect can be seen and it can be a piece to tinker with when they get frustrated with something else.

• Like 1