Menu

Need a good pot roast recipe

we are going to cook a roast for Christmas dinner.

We want roast, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans and a few other veggies.

I normally put potatoes, carrots and onions in mine, but we don't want that for Christmas.

Does anyone have one with out putting any veggies in with the roast and a good gravy recipe?

But it makes a red sauce so I'm not sure it that's what you want. Put one pkg onion soup mix, a bottle of ketchup and a can/bottle of beer in roaster pan on top of pot roast, put lid on and bake at 325 for 3 hours-delish! It gets all carmelized and is so good. Everyone dies over this when I make it (not literally!)

Mine usually has carrots included but you could easily leave them out.

Brown the roast a lot, you want that dark caramelized meat flavour! Add 2 chopped onions, 4 cups good beef stock (more if you want more gravy), 1/2 tspn marjoram, 1/2 tspn thyme, 1 bay leaf, lots of pepper. I fresh grind some and also toss in some whole peppercorns but you can grind it all if you prefer.

Simmer 1 &1/2 hours

add another chopped onion, check the level of your liquid, add more stock if necessary (or water but that will reduce the flavour a bit). This is when I add carrots, but you'll skip that step.

Cook 1 hour more. Remove bayleaf. If you want the gravy thicker, add a small amount of cornstarch slurry and cook a few minutes until the gravy is thickened. We prefer to let some of the liquid evaporate and the gravy is concentrated and very rich. Add salt if needed.

Oh... and I do this in a heavy based pot on the cooktop or in a crockpot with lid removed towards the end to allow the gravy to thicken a bit.