Menu

Pre-Algebra after CLE 500 series - Math Help Pre-Algebra Course

Ting Tang

I settled on using CLE 500 math with my 5th grader this year after a short but failed attempt at Singapore Standards 6.  Last year, he completed grades 5 & 6 Master Books math. That curriculum is not very strong, but I do feel it did a lot of catching up to grade level by grade 6.  Anyway, my son is picking up a few new things here and there with CLE math, but most of it has been a review.  We've really emphasized to be detail-oriented and show your work - I think this is a good opportunity to mature in that regard.  I know with CLE there are multiple levels before Algebra, but I do think we should do pre-algebra with him next year.  I am not sure I want him to go through multiple years of CLE.  I do not find it particularly deep, but that is in comparison to the Singapore Dimensions I'm using with my others.

So I found this thread about pre-algebra.  I need to take a load off my plate and am considering video, pre-recorded math.  I wondered if anyone used that Math Help pre-algebra online curriculum?  It looks decent to me.  The only thing that bugs me about pre-algebra curriculums is it seems a lot of the year is review, and then boom, they introduce algebra towards the end---or maybe that is just what I see at a glance.

Thanks 🙂

I wouldn't jump to pre-algebra after CLE 500 that would be a big jump and missing a lot of concepts. CLE takes several years through middle school to ramp up to algebra concepts. Maybe do a year of 600 and 700 combined skipping quizzes and tests and the first unit of each year. Or find something that fits better. 

4 hours ago, lulalu said:

I wouldn't jump to pre-algebra after CLE 500 that would be a big jump and missing a lot of concepts. CLE takes several years through middle school to ramp up to algebra concepts. Maybe do a year of 600 and 700 combined skipping quizzes and tests and the first unit of each year. Or find something that fits better. 

He’s already covered a lot of what might be coming up in those levels, so he probably did take a step backwards, but I feel like he needed to do that to be more cognizant of showing work. But I do think I need to get the older kids onto some sort of video instruction. My time feels so divided, and I don’t want to gloss over things due to stress of trying to get to everyone. 

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Look at Chalkdust math. Their pre algebra program flows pretty smoothly from where CLE 500s ends *if* the student is solid in their skills. The video instruction is quite good.

Thank you!  This is super helpful to know it flows well from CLE 500.  🙂

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It will flow well if their fractions, decimals, percents and ratios are down solid. Otherwise, spend a bit of time in the 600 series to get those nailed down. 600 is a lot of drilling down of 500 topics.

Thank you so much!  We did so much of it last year, so I am hoping our transition is a graceful one. But I will keep that in mind, should he run into any struggles!

On 1/7/2023 at 1:12 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

Look at Chalkdust math. Their pre algebra program flows pretty smoothly from where CLE 500s ends *if* the student is solid in their skills. The video instruction is quite good.

Are you able to get onto the Chalk Dust website by any chance?  I haven't been able to access it from my phone or home computer.  I wonder if we have some kind of bad setting or if the company is having an issue.  I think it is chalkdust.com, but maybe I am wrong?

Edited by Ting Tang