Menu

Would you recommend home schooling to other parents?

Jimmy Cooper

I have been researching for home schooling from last few days for my brother. He is unable to walk. I have found may information through blog and youtube videos. I found a blog about the lows of home schooling https://lead-academy.org/blog/home-schooling-uk/ . But I didnt get a proper idea about the exams. So I am being confused . Can you give me explanation on the exams of schooling . 

Are you in the UK Jimmy? Or where are you located? You will need information on homeschooling for your country/region.

In general, yes--I do often suggest homeschooling as an alternative to families with kids whose needs (academic, social, or emotional) are not being well met by traditional school.

We have a handful of UK homeschoolers on this board, hopefully they will chime in. You might also look for local homeschool groups--check on Facebook.

How old is your brother?

I'm in the US and we don't have the same kind of secondary exam system as the UK has, so I can't really speak to that.

If he's only five, there's no need to worry about exams yet. The system might well have changed by the time he gets to that age anyway. Homeschooling isn't all or nothing. My daughter homeschooled until the end of grade three, then her father sent her to school. She much prefers homeschooling and would recommend it to pretty much anyone, but her school has a fancy trades program she was able to talk her way into, so that is the best choice for her.

Ever seen Joanne O'Riordan's TED talk? She gave this talk years ago; now she has a degree in criminology. Who knows what your brother will be able to do? In ten years time, he'll have learned a lot more independence skills than he can have now.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cooper said:

He is 5

Five is a fantastic age to homeschool, and there is no need at all to worry about exams for at least the next eight or nine years, when it will be time to make a plan for secondary education. 

As Rosie pointed out, decisions about schooling do not have to be permanent. Four of my children have had a mix of homeschooling and traditional schooling, though so far all have preferred home school. My oldest child currently at home has always homeschooled because traditional school was never a good fit for his needs. 

Would you be the one homeschooling him, or would it be someone else (your parents maybe?)

Do you have questions about getting started with teaching methods and materials?