Menu

Does anyone have a good generic dog adoption agreement link or document?

MercyA

The Humane Society is the one who suggested the silent auction! What in the world. The ordinance clearly says that animals cannot be sold or given away as a prize, which this puppy clearly is. The ordinance also says if an individual vendor wants to sell an animal, he or she must be properly licensed 10 business days before the sale.

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 5

Is there a boxer breed rescue you could contact to help you? I don’t think I could in good conscious participate in the raffle by bidding, but I would consider offering a donation to the charity if they would sell the dog out right for that price. You think she would even consider putting forth a list of requirements for someone to take ownership of the dog? Not even requiring an agreement to provide proper vetting is frightening. Actually, since you sense she’s hoping to be the one who gets to have the dog, and she’s the one in charge of how this whole thing runs, would she go for just keeping him  herself in exchange for a nice donation to her charity? Is she a decent owner for him? It does seem questionable if she was willing to send him home with whoever paid $10. She would have a good out for changing her mind and just accepting a donation and keeping him, based on what has happened with the Humane Society.

This is a tough situation to find a good resolution for. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Is there a boxer breed rescue you could contact to help you? I don’t think I could in good conscious participate in the raffle by bidding, but I would consider offering a donation to the charity if they would sell the dog out right for that price. You think she would even consider putting forth a list of requirements for someone to take ownership of the dog? Not even requiring an agreement to provide proper vetting is frightening. Actually, since you sense she’s hoping to be the one who gets to have the dog, and she’s the one in charge of how this whole thing runs, would she go for just keeping him  herself in exchange for a nice donation to her charity? Is she a decent owner for him? It does seem questionable if she was willing to send him home with whoever paid $10. She would have a good out for changing her mind and just accepting a donation and keeping him, based on what has happened with the Humane Society.

This is a tough situation to find a good resolution for. 

Yes, it's hard. I don't want to encourage her or anyone else by bidding high, but I want the dog to go to a good home. 

My comfort is this: I do think someone is going to bid really high for that puppy. And someone spending a lot of money will probably also be willing and able to provide a good home vs someone who paid $10 for a ticket. I would not be surprised if one of her personal friends bids high and gives the puppy to her, since her children are evidently very attached to the puppy now. Judging by the video on her Facebook page, she keeps her other large dog inside, and all the pictures have the dog curled up with the children on the sofa, etc. So I think she would be an okay owner. 

She said she was going to "vet" the winner, which means she will probably ask some questions of the highest bidder. Hopefully? But she's not likely to refuse the dog to someone paying $$$ for her. And how much can she do in an hour on a Saturday evening? No background check, no home visit, no way to call vet references.

I will see if there is a Boxer rescue nearby. [ETA: There is not.] The smaller rescues I contacted wouldn't have the money to do it. The larger ones probably wouldn't do it out of principle. We already know the Humane Society was no real help. 😞 They either didn't know the ordinance well, didn't have the time to mess with it anymore, or thought that an auction would be more likely to result in a better owner.

Edited by MercyA

Well, fairly good update. Another mother who lost her child to SIDS gave a $750 auction bid toward the puppy so she could give her to the foundation's director. Others also chipped in what they spent on their raffle tickets. The end result is that the family with whom the puppy has been living will keep the puppy. They do have another large inside dog and the dogs are allowed on the furniture and the kids all seem to like to cuddle with them. And I heard that they consider the puppy a Christmas present from the baby they lost and from the baby the other mother lost. I have no doubt the dog will be treasured.

I'm pretty sure she suspects I'm the one who called, since I'm the one who told her the silent auction was just as illegal as the raffle. I also basically told her I thought the ordinance was a good one. It really doesn't bother me if she's mad at me. 🙂 At least she will think twice (I hope!) about doing such a thing again, and it all turned out much better--IMO--than if a random person "won" the puppy for $10. 

I did win another silent auction item (a friend bid for me) and gave another donation, too, so I hope she knows it's not personal and that I do support the work she is doing. It was always about the puppy.

Thanks again, all, for your help and encouragement. ❤️

Don't quote please.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2