Menu

SOTW Rotation Question...

I am sure I am going to have a "Duh" moment when I get the answer to this, but here goes...

My understanding with SOTW, is that you start it in 1st and plan on doing 2 rotations, finishing up the second rotation in 8th grade. (Right?) So, my question is, do you use the same activity pages & test in both rotations? How does that work? If that is the case, do you worry with the second rotation that the edition (worksheets & tests) you used the first time will be out of print or different from the book that you have?

I don't even know if I am stating my question in a way that anyone will understand, but thought I'd ask anyway.

TIA!

My plan is to do SOTW twice (once in grammar and once in rhetoric), but beef it up the second time around with Kingfisher. Also, the tests have been beyond most of my grammar aged kids, so I think from now on I'll just save them for rhetoric.... I also expect that my kids will do research papers and projects during rhetoric on key figures, civilizations, or events.

The way I understood it, you use SOTW for grammar stage. For Logic stage, you can read SOTW again as an introduction, but she has you use Kingfisher for a spine (or whatever it'll be now with Kingfisher out of print). Then they would be doing outlining and checking out relevant books from the library to do more in-depth study. I don't think middle school age students would be quite so interested ingoing through the same coloring pagesand activities as the younger kids do.

It's my understanding that SOTW was intended for grammar stage history. We used it and loved it for grammar stage. Some people have used it for logic stage history by "beefing" it up with KHE and more. IMO, there is no good, secular, logic stage history to use following SOTW, which explains why people sometimes use it for the 2nd rotation even after using it for the 1st rotation.

We are using History Odyssey for logic stage. While it does present a good deal of history, I have not found it as engaging as SOTW. Maybe SWB will write a logic stage history after she's done with high school/adult history and, in my next life, I can use it with my children. :D

Edited by Sue in St Pete