Menu

Some background information about myself ...

Luanne

and my daughter. As you have all probably noticed, I have been posting a lot lately. I truly thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful and have given me the motivation to continue the process of educating myself (since I received a very poor education many years ago).

A piece of information that might be helpful to you ... I'm not sure ... is that even though my daugther reads on an adult level, I do not. My best guess would be that I read on about a 5th or 6th grade level. This is something I have been working on improving. So, don't feel bad if you recommend lower level reading books to me. As a matter of fact, I would appreciate it. LOL :D

as my oldest child grows up!

Seriously, when we first started hs'ing two years ago (ds was in 5th), I would look at a particular book and just groan. But, now, that book feels just right. And, all I've been doing is reading the same books as my ds. So, yes! Just read the books in WTM and don't worry about what "level" they are - they're all good books!

Luanne, you are still my hero! I think you are giving your dd a priceless gift.

Rhonda

Welcome Luanne! It's nice to meet you.

As I homeschool my boys, I see that I did not receive the education that I thought I had. Therefore, I've been doing a lot of catch-work myself; especially in regards to reading classical books. My boys and I are reading through as many selections as we can (before they leave home) from the 1000 Good Book list here: http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html. It's sorted by grade level which may help you too.

This is what I worry about happening with my dd. We haven't started HSing, she's too young. But my dw is Chinese and her English, by American standards is poor. Also, because we live overseas, there's very little English reinforcement in the community for her. I'm the only one that speaks English to her and I work.

My wife made it through a Chinese University as an English major, but that was many years ago, she didn't use Engish again for seven years until she met me. So the pressure for my daughter to succeed in English will rest on how well I can teach/support her (and her mother).

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/060899.htm

scroll down.

Given the writing in your posts, you are not writing at a 5th grade level. My hubby falls flat on his face when he gets to the fifth grade level of the list linked above and his writing is barely comprehensible. Yours is not.

Check at your library. There will be books and some even tutor for free with volunteers. Which method will help you, I believe, depends on what the reason is. Dyslexia, of course, is a common cause, and therefore lots of books are out about it. I have seen hubby's comprehension speed up for the simple stuff, but he hasn't put the effort into moving up the grades. Motivation is the biggest key...as with much in life.

Best of Luck! Let us know if something helps. I'm sure you are not alone on these boards...

with this

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

quality literature is qualitly literature no matter what the reading level!!!these can be great read alouds to children (and practice for yourself) or just good reads yourself.

If you need more than just reading practice: several Adult education/ GED programs have reading instructional services in the online form. and it's free. maybe that's something you can check out??