Menu

Digital Photo systems

TexasProud

Ok, I need to figure out a system. Maybe you have a good way to organize your photos.  In the old days, I would take the card from the Canon60D and download the folder on the big desktop. Label it Spring 2015 or sometimes Christmas 2009 or Washington DC Trip.  I would then move it over to a couple of different external drives that we have.

However, now that I have a travel blog and plus have been fooling around with photography.  I have so. many. pictures. On vacation, I easily take 200 pictures a day.  At home,  I may take 500 of the birdfeeder, but only 10 are really, really good.  But they are on the disc with photos of my daughter in a musical or a couple of fun casual pics.

Then add the iphone I got a year ago.  Those pictures are a little bit of travel and a little bit of life with family all mixed up. And I have to download individual pics on my laptop because if you download a group of photos into a zip file, you have to just preview them one by one and they take FOREVER to move over.  

When we are on actual vacation, each night I make a folder on my photos for blog section and label and download and convert to a smaller size.  So I have them.  But the issue is the original size is still on the memory card for the Canon or on my phone.  Honestly, no one uses the desktop at home anymore.  But I have photos on my desktop and on my laptop.  

As I mentioned. Our photos are very organized until about 2019/2020.  Now they are a giant mess.  Do any of you have a system?

Just now, regentrude said:

We import all our photos into a library program that archives pics by date.

We recently had a discussion on this board; I shared screens hots of that.

I thought we had, but I used the search function and it didn't come up with anything...

What is the name of the program?

8 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I thought we had, but I used the search function and it didn't come up with anything...

What is the name of the program?

It was a Casio image library program we got with a camera. I don't believe you can get it as a stand-alone, but there must be similar products.

The photos on my phone automatically get backed up on Google Photos (aka in the cloud).
It's easy to create Albums for each event, & then share them with the appropriate family/friends.
You can pay to have a larger Family Plan  with 2 TB of storage.