Menu

Can you compare Analytical Grammar with Grammar for the Well Trained Mind?

I used AG with one of my graduates so it's been ages, and I no longer have a copy to refresh my memory. I've only glanced through GftWTM, as my youngest will use it this fall. 

The biggest difference right away is GftWTM uses sentences from literature in the exercises. My kiddo is an expert pattern finder and this would make him master the concept instead of gaming the lesson. 😄

The exercise sentences in AG feel more pre-chewed, crafted just for that grammar concept. It was very effective and got the job done well though. AG also has an optional video component. 

I have not used AG but we did use junior AG and we used GWTM for about two years. 

GWTM is scripted, like FLL, so the teacher needs to be involved (this might be an IMO but I really don't know how it is supposed to work otherwise). I got the impression that AG was more independent overall. One reason we chose GWTM was that I loved FLL and wasn't a huge fan of JAG.  I thought JAG lacked instruction in some areas and I was concerned that if we continued with AG we would have problems. 

I did not compare the content of the two. I believe AG is designed to be completed in two years or less? You could confirm that on their website. 

For GWTM, after it came out they gave some guidance on how you could use it. One way was to go through about the first half for one color (e.g. red book) and then restart at lesson one with a different color (e.g. purple book), and then eventually cover the last half of one of the books.  

We did GWTM in 6th and 7th, before they had said to start over at the beginning halfway through. So we struggled through the last half of the book.  The last half of the book took us multiple days per "lesson day."  Sometimes it would take us three or four days to get through one day's worth of material.  Some of the content seemed beyond what we needed practically.  

We came out of GWTM with some gaps. My kids needed more practical instruction on punctuation.  I think this is a YMMV. It was in there, but there just wasn't enough practice for us. I ended up buying Jensen's Punctuation to try for that. 

There are some threads on here about GWTM that might be helpful. 

I would say I really loved FLL but GWTM was not the same for us. It had a lot of potential but it needs tweaking. 

• Like 2

here are some old threads:

instructions on how to use GWTM: https://welltrainedmind.com/wp-content/uploads/Recommendations-for-using-GFTWTM-with-Your-Student.pdf?v=7516fd43adaa

One more comment: I bought the first edition of the purple book when it came out, and the first edition of the core instructor manual. I am not sure what edition is out now. One issue we had (at the time) was that since it was the first edition, there were many errors and unfortunately the errata page was not kept updated. I hope that is fixed by now.  https://welltrainedmind.com/corrections/key-student-workbook-1-grammar-well-trained-mind/