Menu

X-Post from K-8 Board: Plaid Dad, I just noticed your Living Memory (K-12) workbook-

and thought I'd post my questions here about how it works. I'll also post on the High School boards, because I know you check out both spots---just in case I miss you here! ;) The link for the Living Memory Workbook is here, for any others who might be interested.

The description mentions ancient memorization techniques. Can you give us a brief description of what those are? Are any of these techniques used today, only rephrased in different terms? For instance, some of the techniques from the progymnasmata are still used today, but are given more modern terminology. (The authors of Classical Writing give some great examples on their website on modern-day examples of the progym.)

How much time would the memory work take, on a daily basis? We memorized poetry daily for years, and generally spent only about 10 minutes doing so. This gave us great dividends, though, because the girls were easily able to memorize one poem a month, and so they were able to have at least 10 poems memorized within a year.

Is music used as a memory aid, like is used in some other programs? Without giving out too many "spoilers", what are the skills taught to help in memory training?

This really looks like a great resource, and the fact that you are incorporating speeches from Cicero and Churchill is a big plus! (As an aside, my dh listened to TCC's "Churchill", taught by Prof. Rufus Fears, and really enjoyed that series. I did not know that Churchill used to have great trouble with public speaking and eventually overcame those problems!) Actually---that leads to another question: is there any evidence that memory work for children, such as memorizing poems, hymns, proverbs, speeches, etc., can help them learn to become better public speakers? Memoria was one of the key building blocks of classical methodology, and it was employed in teaching oratory, wasn't it? Can you explain the connection? How does a child learn to memorize and yet not sound "stiff"? I'm assuming that memorization is intended as a springboard for greater freedom in public speaking. Does that question make sense?

Anyway, when you have time, can you post an answer to these questions? Thanks in advance!

ETA: A couple of additional questions: is the oral (non-musical) memory work in both English and Latin? In other words, will the student be learning Cicero's speeches in Latin or English? Also, is there a step-by-step progression introduced for memory work, depending upon the student's age/grade/ability?

Thanks again!

Edited by Michelle in MO
additional thoughts/questions