Menu

Linear Algebra text suggestions

Does anyone have a particular favorite basic intro to linear algebra text? It is just to whet the appetite. I’ve seen recommendations for Bretscher, Strang, Savov, Lay… 

I know nothing, so any help is much appreciated. If you want to throw in suggestions for multivariable calculus I’d be happy to have those as well. Thanks!

We used what we had on hand for both, so

Lay's Linear Algebra and It's Applications 4th. It's a highly readable text, good examples and was very easy for self-study.

For Calculus, I taught it directly but used Thomas' (12th? 11th?) and Stewarts (7th) for problem sets.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2022 at 9:10 PM, Gil said:

We used what we had on hand for both, so

Lay's Linear Algebra and It's Applications 4th. It's a highly readable text, good examples and was very easy for self-study.

For Calculus, I taught it directly but used Thomas' (12th? 11th?) and Stewarts (7th) for problem sets.

Can I ask you why you have many Calculus books 🙂

We are doing AoPs I have seen the Calculus books from AoPs (not working with it yet) it's quite thin comparing with Stewarts though. 

And Linear Algebra don't they teach that at the university? What's the advantage to do it before college?

2 hours ago, Visitor1 said:

Can I ask you why you have many Calculus books 🙂

My university switched from using Thomas to Stewart. I was in the first group of students who were required to use the Stewart text, so I bought a copy of Stewart for the lessons, online access and hardcopy HW problems. I acquired a copy of Thomas calculus for free.

I kept both because it's harder to come across extra calculus exercises than arithmetic and I wanted a wider pool of problems to use for my children

We are doing AoPs I have seen the Calculus books from AoPs (not working with it yet) it's quite thin comparing with Stewarts though.

I find that the majority of US Math books are over-bloated. There is no reason for every K to 12 math book, to be 500+ pages.

And Linear Algebra don't they teach that at the university?

Yes, Linear Algebra is taught at most US universities.

What's the advantage to do it before college?

Some advantages include:

• more time with the material and concepts
  • keeping my kids interested in mathematics
  • gaining more tools in their mathematical tool kit and of course,
  • avoiding several of the disadvantages of waiting until University to study Linear Algebra.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gil said:

No. It might be the same author, but we own and use Linear Algebra and It's Applications (4th Ed.) by David C. Lay.

Thanks Gil. I know that every child is different.  But how much time did you spend on Linear Algebra ? 

I am going to search if this book has worked solutions and corresponding videos on YouTube.  I saw that this book is used at our local university