Menu

Singapore Math - Supplementary Math

Ting Tang

I'm thinking about using Singapore Dimensions for grades 2, 4, and 5 (He's doing grade 6 math, but I am considering taking him back to grade 5 but making it more challenging. He is a rising 5th grader.)

I am thinking about supplementing their math with challenge, at least for my 2nd and rising 5th graders.  The Singapore supplementary math seems to be designed for the Primary/US/Other versions and not Dimensions.

Why?  Does Dimensions contain the "challenge" for more accelerated learners? I know the curriculum itself is rigorous as are the other versions. 

I am also considering using Royal Fireworks Press for some supplements and a supplementary algebra program (Hands-On).  I just don't know about mixing versions for supplemental math.

Thanks if anyone knows!

I wonder if it's just that the other math programs are older and have accumulated more supplementary material over time. Dimensions is pretty new; they've only got to 3rd grade with their home instructor guides.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jboo said:

I wonder if it's just that the other math programs are older and have accumulated more supplementary material over time. Dimensions is pretty new; they've only got to 3rd grade with their home instructor guides.

I thought that, too! I did come across one comment that said it was all included. In reality, I’m not sure how much extra time I will have for extra things, lol. Sounds good when I’m planning… lol

You don’t need to add a thing to Dinensions except the video lessons, if you want them.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend you give your child the placement test and start where he places even if that means backing up several levels. Dimensions is unlike any other US program. Your kiddos will not be “behind” in any way doing this. You will be giving them the best chance to be successful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Bean said:

You don’t need to add a thing to Dinensions except the video lessons, if you want them.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend you give your child the placement test and start where he places even if that means backing up several levels. Dimensions is unlike any other US program. Your kiddos will not be “behind” in any way doing this. You will be giving them the best chance to be successful.

Thank you! I decided that we were going to back up if we chose a more conceptual program. I think for my oldest, this will be good for him! I wasn’t sure I could teach it as well as other programs, but it at least comes with separate guides, workbooks, and the videos.  6-8 looks quite meaty, so I think he should definitely start within the elementary curriculum. We can read the Awesum Alex series from RFWP maybe, too 

On 5/6/2022 at 4:48 PM, Ting Tang said:

I'm thinking about using Singapore Dimensions for grades 2, 4, and 5 (He's doing grade 6 math, but I am considering taking him back to grade 5 but making it more challenging. He is a rising 5th grader.)

I am thinking about supplementing their math with challenge, at least for my 2nd and rising 5th graders.  The Singapore supplementary math seems to be designed for the Primary/US/Other versions and not Dimensions.

Why?  Does Dimensions contain the "challenge" for more accelerated learners? I know the curriculum itself is rigorous as are the other versions. 

I am also considering using Royal Fireworks Press for some supplements and a supplementary algebra program (Hands-On).  I just don't know about mixing versions for supplemental math.

Thanks if anyone knows!

Dimensions has more repetition built in to the lessons.

• Like 1