Menu

The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling

Slache

I've seen the book, I've had in my hands, and it's absolutely lovely, but I don't own it. I just reserved it at the library because I think I want to get back into nature journaling, but I've just discovered that he's written a book on teaching nature journaling. Have I been under a rock? Do we love this? Do we hate it? Were you all under the rock with me? Talk to me.

For reference my kids are going into 6th, 4th, 1st and toddlerdom, this would be heavily mom-led and more of a side thing/attempt at changing our lifestyle to more outdoorsy like we used to be.

We kept a family nature journal when they were maybe 5 and 3 years old. It was a cheap sketchbook that we pasted things in and looked them up when we got home. We also kept track of the birds we saw and the state of the river and plants through the year. Oh! I need a photo printer.

Ok. Tell me things.

Apparently the new one is about managing a classroom of students and giving assignments, which is not surprising at all by the title, but also not what I want to do. When we did it before my kids picked what they wanted to do, and that's what I want. I'm just going to buy the original, which I loved. I reserved it at the library to be sure, because I don't want a book I won't use. I already have those.

I downloaded Handbook of Nature Study and it's over 900 pages, so I'm not excited and might not read it. We'll see.

I like it! I am not outdoorsy or artistic but I feel like I’ve been able to cobble together a decent attempt at nature journaling. We take pictures on the trail and then come home to journal. I feel like Laws is more helpful than Comstock when it comes to making an entry. Comstock is more of a reference book for me, and honestly, I rarely use it. 

You can download How to Teach Nature Journaling for free directly from JML’s website if you want to check it out. I like it, but I don’t need a physical copy. 

1 hour ago, AnneGG said:

I like it! I am not outdoorsy or artistic but I feel like I’ve been able to cobble together a decent attempt at nature journaling. We take pictures on the trail and then come home to journal. I feel like Laws is more helpful than Comstock when it comes to making an entry. Comstock is more of a reference book for me, and honestly, I rarely use it. 

You can download How to Teach Nature Journaling for free directly from JML’s website if you want to check it out. I like it, but I don’t need a physical copy. 

Thank you! I didn't know.

I love the idea of taking pictures on the trail and journaling at home. We used to bring stuff home, but my kids were so little doing a pinecone or leaf was graspable, but a detailed waterfall not so much. Picture is good.

• Like 1