Menu

BJU Math Users

Elizabeth86

My son will be in BJU Math 6 next year. I am contemplating doing video lessons to free up more time for my little ones. I am curious just how many new concepts are taught in math 6.  If there are not a lot, I think we will be fine parent led because he literally will remember everything he has already learned. I don't mind teaching new concepts, but it will be a struggle if it's something new EVERY DAY because I'm running out of time to do everything with everyone.  So how big of a jump is math 5 to math 6?

I don’t feel like I’m teaching much new stuff this year in Math 6. It seems like every lesson I say something like, “I think you’ve had this before, so it should be an easy day!” (He likes those little prefaces to the lessons lol). My ds is good at math, and does understand and retain concepts easily, but I still feel like much of it is review. Or maybe review with just a bit of “going farther”. Also, you can see the table of contents on Christianbook.com. Maybe that will help? Oh, and we’ve basically done evens or odds on every lesson, which is another indicator to me that it’s more review type stuff bc he just doesn’t need to do 40 problems every day, so that has been nice too. I can teach the lesson to this ds in no more than 15 minutes a day, so I think the videos would’ve really annoyed him. (We’ve never used the videos, though, so I can’t give a true assessment of them)

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

I don’t feel like I’m teaching much new stuff this year in Math 6. It seems like every lesson I say something like, “I think you’ve had this before, so it should be an easy day!” (He likes those little prefaces to the lessons lol). My ds is good at math, and does understand and retain concepts easily, but I still feel like much of it is review. Or maybe review with just a bit of “going farther”. Also, you can see the table of contents on Christianbook.com. Maybe that will help? Oh, and we’ve basically done evens or odds on every lesson, which is another indicator to me that it’s more review type stuff bc he just doesn’t need to do 40 problems every day, so that has been nice too. I can teach the lesson to this ds in no more than 15 minutes a day, so I think the videos would’ve really annoyed him. (We’ve never used the videos, though, so I can’t give a true assessment of them)

You are right that bju seems like review with just a little bit going forward and with most concepts DS has the going forward part figured out before I even get around to explaining it. I think BJU is very well done, but it’s way more gradual than he ever needed, but it gets the job done.

• Like 1