Menu

Compass Classroom History?

Slache

We used Modernity with some tweaks in 9th. I read the Reader the summer before and we watched the videos together. Lots of discussion! We skipped all the projects as Dd detests them. Kept the writing assignments, mostly. We made our own reading list to have Lit that matched the time period. 

I tried Dave Raymond’s American History and dropped it. Way too one sided, favoring Jefferson over the Federalists, the Confederacy over the Union etc. 

We used K12’s American Odyssey instead. I was very comfortable adding theological aspects to this material and supplementing with some primary sources and library books. 

While I am a conservative, reformed Christian like Dave Raymond, I find his oversimplifications and lack of nuance problematic. I disagree with many of his takes in the American curriculum, especially on how he handled slavery. 

My Dd does not love video based curricula. Live online or straight up books are better for her.

YMMV

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Thanks 1